Why become a member? ×

F/S EBMM '95 Sterling bass £450 ONO (classic for no money) SOLD PROVISIONALLY

Prime_BASS

Hi.
As some may feel and know times are really tough, I've spent too much and my hours at work are getting shorter and shorter. So with hesitation up for sale is my beloved Sterling.

Why so cheap?
This bass sounds really good, without a doubt, with all the work I've done it sounds just like a Stingray but without the hefty weight or wide neck.
However it has been much loved by me and by Andy Hawkins of Midget(who recorded with it alot and took it on tour to japan and back). As such it has suffered a lot of tiny bumps and scrapes. Nothing major though, nothing that gauges enough to penertrate the wood, mainly just flaws in the finish etc, and only become apparant if you look closely enough.

Also it is not all original: I brought it off eBay from the second owner (after Andy) and only after a year and a studio visit I found something wasn't right with the sound. I changed the pickup to no success and then the preamp and now thats fixed, as such the old electronics are long gone, but the new stuff is high grade replacement stuff.

Here is a Spec list I guess:
Original MM tuners.
Original 1 piece Birdseye Maple neck. (22 fret)
Original MM neck plate.
Original Body, and scratchplate.
Pickup is a SMB-4A, a Stingray Alnico replacement.
Preamp, John East MMSR 3 band 4 knob. Stingray replacement preamp, with no indent on the bass and treble and sweepable mids.
Original 'Trans' bridge (AKA flea bridge) with String Mute assembly.

The mods really do make it sound like a stingray and it only weighs a very light 8.4lbs. due to the parts not being made to fit a Sterling I have had to do a bodge job in some places, for example the pots on the preamp are a little scratchy as they don't fit perfect in the holes (who moves them around all set anyway???) and the pickup is hard to chanmge height with the pickguard on, as it's a little wide. Also the 3 way switch has been taken out completely as it was part of the old broken system.
Also after a few emails to luthiers the neck it seems is 100% fine and usable, but i would keep a kit to change the truss rod with you at all times. due to the old, birdseye and one piece nature of the neck it is suseptable to change more than modern necks, I would say no more so than a modern fender, and 9 times out of ten it doesn't need changing, jut severe knocks can have a bad effect on it.

Ok.
It comes with a Hiscox liteflite (or whatever it's called) hardcase.
£450 posted all in
Or £400 collected from me in Nottingham.

there will be no price drops as this is stupid low as it is and you won't find anything else better for this money.

[attachment=109069:Gedling-20120131-00041.jpg][attachment=109070:474935_259543027462509_191622304254582_573621_1920637550_o.jpg]
[attachment=109071:Gedling-20120530-00273.jpg]
[attachment=109072:Gedling-20120530-00274.jpg]

Edited by Prime_BASS

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1338400140' post='1674026']
The bridge, neck and pre amp must be worth your price alone mate! Crazy times we are in :(
[/quote]

I know!

I thought about parting out, but then the chance to own it as a whole some day in the future would be impossible. Plus I really don't want to detire potential sales with a dream price.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1338414429' post='1674386']
I've played this bass - many times. Ste is a top bloke and his description of the bass is very fair. It has had some knocks an bumps but it still plays great and that old neck feels lovely.

This bass is a real BARGAIN!
[/quote]

Cheers Shep!
If money was better or work was better no way this would go, but it looks like a fellow Notts' bassist may have it off me, so at least it's near.