Why become a member? ×

Im having a bit of trouble getting to grips with rhythm.

[size=4]Hey guys I have been playing the bass for 5 years now. I have learned a lot about the techniques and stuff involved with the bass. I have now started improvising and creating songs now. But I need help with rhythm.[/size]

[size=4]Most of the time when I play a song, I mostly focus on the finger work and what frets to play but when I play the song, the bass-line just doesn't fit in with the rest of the song, so I started thinking about rhythm and how it can keep me on track with the song i am playing so I try to find the tempo and I try to play it while keeping on track but while i try to think about the rhythm i am also trying to think about what notes to play, I then get in a muddle and I lose track as well as play the wrong notes. So i am now going to ask my fellow basschatters if they can help me keep on rhythm and play the right notes at the same time, which is multi tasking. So here is my question:[/size]

[size=4]Are there any exercises I can do to develop my sense of rhythm and keep playing the right notes at the same time?[/size]

[size=4]P.S Does anyone know where I can get a non-electronic Metronome for a cheap price?[/size]

[size=4]I know this seems like a beginners question but it would be great if I got a good answer.[/size]

[size=4]Thanks. Dan [/size]

You could do a lot worse than check out Scott Devine's channel on YouTube. He has all sorts of clips on different approaches to bass playing from beginner to more advanced.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/devinebass/videos"]http://www.youtube.c...vinebass/videos[/url]

Also, without wanting to be too critical, if you play like you write in your post you will get lost very easily. If you put some punctuation into your playing at certain points that will help break up the piece you are playing. I'm sure Scott Devine covers bits like that in some of his clips. You could perhaps put in a stronger note on the first beat in the bar. That emphasizes where the start of the bar is.

Sometimes it is a good idea to go back to basics and start from the beginning. In the early days of playing we probably were all caught up in wanting to run before we can walk. Maybe start by playing the root note to each chord. Practice that again and again until you are sick of it. Then practice it a lot more. That will help you keep on the rhythm.

Edited by BassBus

Have a look at snare drum pattern tuition books and practice with a metronome.

Drum machines have too much going on in them that you can hide behind. Once you get more comfortable starting slowing down the tempos, having a click on just 2 & 4, a click on every first beat of a bar and then 1 click every 4 bars.

This forces you to have good time and leaves you with nowhere to hide. Start slowly and don't try too much at once.

[quote name='tickbite' timestamp='1338219671' post='1670999']
Hi Dan

Get the rhythm of the song by tapping your foot to the beat. Getting the notes where they should be comes with practising, I reckon.
[/quote]

This is a good point. Simple but useful.

One other thing you could try while you are doing this is sing a bass line rather than playing it. Might sound strange but it is using different parts of the brain. Maybe something else to work into a practice routine.

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1338322916' post='1672850']
Play along with music you like until you're blue in the face.
That way timing and groove will eventually become second nature.
[/quote]

Yes, it's practice and more practice. I don't know who said it, but I agree with the saying, 'Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.' :D

You gotta get your 10,000 hours in! [url="http://www.squidoo.com/10000-hour-rule"]http://www.squidoo.com/10000-hour-rule[/url]