Why become a member? ×

Advice please for linking effects pedals

sgh

Thinking of getting a few TC Electronic Pedals (have the TC Chorus at the moment) and have some questions having never linked pedals before :

What's the best power supply ? I've seen this on Ebay,
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-Supply-DC-Adapter-Brick-9V-Guitar-FX-Pedal-Board-/261025127798?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3cc64f5d76"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-Supply-DC-Adapter-Brick-9V-Guitar-FX-Pedal-Board-/261025127798?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3cc64f5d76[/url]
any other recommendations ?

Short Leads recommendations ?

Pedal Board to house up to 5 pedals ?

Cheapest place for TC pedals ?

Thanks in advance
Steve

For cabling, Lava and George L are expensive but really worthwhile, especially if you chop and change pedals a lot like most of us do. Using regular cables with regular right-angle plugs can lead to a lot of frustration trying to route everything together on a busy board, and figuring out how to deal with the extra length, or that jack that is an inch too far away... When you can just cut the right length and then push a compact jack on to the end without having to solder it saves a ton of headaches.

I'm not normally a fan of expensive solutions to seemingly simple problems, but in this case I think it's worth spending the extra money.

I'd chip in not to skimp on Powersupply if you can. Daisy chain ones like the one you mentioned are well and good for cheap and cheerful bedroom playing but it's worth having a serious think about something with isolated power outputs in the long run. Much less risk of noise/interference. Yes they are expensive but they also last years (decades/life if treated with respect) cheap power supplies die, and they usually wait until half way through a very important gig to do it.

If you do go for a daisychain one for the love of god cover up any unused power jacks with electrical tape because if they touch a metal pedal chassis at best you'll get a nice firework display and at worst some unhappy pedals.

George L's for cables, and Diago Powerstation for the supply. Pedaltrain pedalboards
are popular, you can put all the extra cabling etc. under it as well as the power supply, and Diago
also makes some pretty good boards. Cheapest place for anything is ebay.

The Diago Powerstation is a daisy chain but it works well without noise or other interference.

Edited by lxxwj

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1338066809' post='1669314']
The Diago Powerstation is a daisy chain but it works well without noise or other interference.
[/quote]

Indeed the Powerstation is just about the only daisychain I'd be comfortable recommending.

Diago are a really small company and James the guy that owns it is a top guy so they're well worth supporting (not being biased there because Andertons don't stock Diago anyway!) but I've got a Diago Showman pedal board and I've got a Powerstation as a backup powersupply should I ever need it so yeah they get the thumbs up from me!

Edited by Mark_Andertons

The Johnny Shredfreak pedalboard power supply is the exact same unit as the Diago Powerstation (have seen them side by side to compare) and sells for around half the price of the Diago branded model. Power my guitar board with one and it does a great job.

They also supply daisy chains, adapters and all kinds of pedalboard bits, worth a good nose around their website.

OBBM (a member on here) makes very highly regarded cables, many BC'ers swear by him. The Lava/George L solderless solutions are smart but very very pricey compared to regular patch cables.

The usual suspects for boards have been mentioned - if you're gigging heavily I'd avoid the cheap and cheerful toolbox type cases (like a cheap B&Q suitcase toolbox but with lift off hinges) as they won't withstand van abuse in the long term. If you have a solid case to transport it in and are even moderately handy with tools there's plenty great advice for DIY options on the web, including great ones based on Ikea Gorm shelving units - costs about 8 quid and some of the finished results look very impressive.

If you'd prefer to buy something more sturdy, Pedaltrain and Diago have some great stuff as mentioned above, or the likes of Flightcase Warehouse will sell you something near indestructible for a price - only worth it if you'll be throwing it around stages regularly IMO.