Why become a member? ×

Rags to Riches - Old cab restoration

Truckstop

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1338239240' post='1671515']
I've got two of those in a Marshall 2 x 15 - a mate of mine has 2 x Delta-Lites in a cab. I bought mine over the counter at Maplins & they only did 8ohm versions at the time.
AFAIK the bog standard Delta only comes in 8 or 16 ohm but that was a few years ago; while not trying to tell my granny how to suck eggs it may be worth checking in case Blue Aran are looking for something they can't find.
[/quote]

Yeah I already checked that it was the 4ohm version! Apparantly when I ordered the site showed that although they weren't in stock, it would get to me in 5 working days which turned out to be wrong so still waiting for it :(

And I didnt know that that was how piping was fitted either until I got it in the post. I thought i'd figure it out when it came and luckily I did!

Truckstop

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Speaker finally arrived today!
Hooked it up and gave it a quick blast and it really does sound immense! Turned it up as loud as I dare and it really is a lovely gorgeous articulate sounding cab now. I think blocking the port accidentally has given the cab a slightly vintage vibe too; a slight thud even when I have the tone turned on all the way on the Blazer provides a really multi-layered deep complex sound. I also decided to screw on the original Carvin logo too. Why not? Everything else is Carvin branded and it finishes the looks off nicely.

Love it!

Was also surprised to find that the Eminence Delta is really light too. Much lighter than the broken 200w one I have lying around from my Ampeg SVT-115. So all in all, I now have a light (not lightweight!) vintage-y cab that sounds great! I'll give it a blast at a couple of gigs, and if it performs as well as I think it will, my SVT cabs will be up for sale! Having 3 cabs is silly.

Anyway, thanks for all your comments and messages of support. Can't wait to get started on my next restoration project!

Alex

Ps. My next project is actually underway; a little pedalboard done with the same colours as the cab! Updates soon..

.. looking sweet man! loving your style. one tip for your next job is as above spray your frame black before stapling the grille cloth, i did this with my cab which allowed me to shove some thin black foam between the frame and cloth on completion to get it nice and tight. Another 'top tip' for the piping is to glue a small piece of plastic into the hollow of the cut end and stick it into the other cut end it gives you a really good join .. I struggle to find the join on my own cab. Looking forward to seeing your future projects! B)

Yeah I decided to leave the frame plain because I wanted it to look like the old style Fender TV cabs/combos. I also thought that painting it black wouldnt look as good because of the contrast against the lightness of the cab covering.

Maybe next time I'll give it a go!

And thanks for the binding tip, I tried for ages to try to get the binding to join neatly to no avail. I might actually build a new speaker grille when I can be bothered!

Truckstop