Why become a member? ×

Fat rock bass sounding guitar?

bassickman

[quote name='bassickman' timestamp='1337690643' post='1663991']
Musicman stingray and lakland both came to mind?
[/quote]

Do use both for my rock band - which is tad heavier than the influences you listed.

It's all in the EQ, for me - and the forum members here have been great in helping me tweaking it.

[quote name='bassickman' timestamp='1337699720' post='1664160']
Ok, I love the tone. However, I play some big gigs with an alt rock, pop rock band. Similar to maroon 5. I find the Jazz bass tone perfect but the depth of the sound sometimes isnt deep enough. I use ernie ball slinky bass strings. I am a newbie to gear really and this is why i come to yourselves for advice.
[/quote]

keep the bass and find a used John East J-Retro preamp. About £100. Straight drop in, just a few min to install, and you will have some monstrous tones at your fingertips. :)

[quote name='CBbass' timestamp='1337787491' post='1665483']
I have no idea why a Jazz won't do what you want from it. Perhaps you have sh*te electronics?

A P bass may have a very, very slightly thicker tone.
[/quote]

I've had 3 Jazzes over 30 years and couldn't get a "fat rock tone" out of any of them, whatever I did with the eq. The P's I've used have sounded twice the size. I just sound bad playing Jazzes; my technique and what they do just don't work together. Maybe the OP has the same problem.

[quote name='bassickman' timestamp='1338055791' post='1669133']
I'm currently just D.I' ing but I think I'm going to get a mark bass tube amp and a fender deluxe 5 string... Hopefully it will work nicely.
[/quote]

Try getting a POD, Sansamp or another kind of preamp. That could sort your problems out since generally if you're just DI'd, it's a bit of a boring tone.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1338108718' post='1669577']
Try getting a POD, Sansamp or another kind of preamp. That could sort your problems out since generally if you're just DI'd, it's a bit of a boring tone.
[/quote]

this. how can you expect a jazz to sound the way you want just DI'd? Not gonna happen. I run mine through a Hartke VXL pedal pre-amp/DI and it sounds pretty good, it's not has thumphy as a P but certainly sounds good enough for rock. There is no comparison to the 'clean' sound of the J bass. Heavy gauge strings also help. I play 110 elites and they do help getting a thicker tone.

Try a VT Bass. It will thicken your tone like and get you that lovely grit that you can't get with a DI alone.
I gigged for a long time with a Bass POD live XT. The soundman and the audience always loved the tone, but a bit heavy and may have too many features if you just want "thick".