Why become a member? ×

Tobias Classic Zebrano *SOLD*

green

hey folks.

a buddy of mine wants to sell his tobias classic zebrano.

it has a beautiful zebrano top, alder back, and a thick layer of wenge in between.
the neck is made of flamed maple and purple heart, the fingerboard is made of wenge.
as all tobias basses, it features an asymmetric neck profile, and dual truss rods.

as for the electronics, the bass comes with custom bartolini hum-cancelling soapbars, which are radiussed to match the fingerboard, and a 3EQ preamp, which has switchable mid frequencies and a push/pull contour switch.

also, it features a hand made acrylic pickup ramp, that is readiussed, too. i guess you know what that's good for, right ?

the tobias bass comes in its original hard case, and the lifetime warranty card is included.

THE BASS IS SOLD.

greets

Edited by green

Hi mate,

Forum rules are that a for sale price must be stated, and this forum isn't meant to be used to advertise something you're selling on ebay, unless you're selling it on here too.

Cheers and best of luck with the sale of a lovely bass,
Dan

sorry, didnt know that.
asking price is 1800 euros or best offer.
i thought, people feel better to buy it through ebay, instead of sending money to a complete stranger... so thats why i told you about the ebay thing.

so its ok now?

Edited by green

[quote name='green' timestamp='1337531355' post='1661479']
sorry, didnt know that.
asking price is 1800 or best offer.
i thought, people feel better to buy it through ebay, instead of sending money to a complete stranger... so thats why i told you about the ebay thing.

so its ok now?
[/quote]

It's fine now but perhaps put your price in the original listing so people can see it, please also put a currency, as this is being sold in Germany did you mean £1800 or 1800euros?

People on basschat tend to prefer basschat because we make use of the ebay style feedback thread on here so we know who we're buying off and know they're trustworthy, and that way the seller doesn't face ebay's extortionate item selling fees.

ok, i updated the original post.

well, since i have no feedback in this forum, but i do on ebay, i'm sure potential buyers would prefer ebay.
if somebody is interested in this bass, and ebay is the only way to go, then i'll have to pay the fees.
but if its ok to sell it over the forum, then even better....

i'm just offering both.
i'll try and post a sound clip later, so you get an impression of how this tobias sounds in a band context.

Very nice bass indeed!

I had a Tobias Classic 5 about 20 years ago and it really was a fabulous instrument.. It was one of the few basses that I've had over the years that really 'sang' when you played it... it was so resonant.. And IIRC, that was what Mike Tobias was always trying to achieve with his mix of tone-woods.

Anyway, I'll stop reminiscing now... Good luck with the sale and have a free BUMP!

thanks silverfoxnik, you're right about the tone...
but not only that, but it feels very comfortable and well balanced.
and with only about 3.9 kg of weight, thats quite a lightweight for all the wenge and zebrano that is in there.

[quote name='JensWest' timestamp='1338461169' post='1674846']
Is this one made by Gibson?
[/quote]

Quote from Mike Tobias:

[size=4][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][i][color=#990000][b]The Gibson Buyout...[/b][/color][/i]
[i]After several attempts to move the business to larger, better equipped facilities, I sold Tobias Guitars to Gibson on 1/1/90. The first Tobias Gibson serial number was 1094. At that point, Gibson was instrumental in moving us to a bigger shop in Burbank and setting us up with a great spray booth and dust collection system. We finally met So Cal safety codes. Basses built during 1990-1992 era were built initially by the same crew that had helped establish Tobias Basses as one of the most sought after basses on the planet. We added several people during 1990 and ended up with a great 10-man shop.[/i]

[i]Business was still very good and we were not able to make anywhere near enough basses to fill the orders. Instead of trying to jack up production, we tried to get outside vendors to build for us. We had 110 "Model T" basses made for us by a very fine builder in New England, and then we got the Terada factory in Nagoya, Japan to make the "Standard" bass for us. This was and is a great bass, but the $/yen ratio killed the project. There were about 400 Standards.[/i]

[i]Late in 1992, it was decided that in the best corporate interests, Tobias would move to Nashville. After much deliberation, no one from the original Tobias Guitars crew went to Nashville. The final LA Tobias/Gibson serial number is 2044. Despite Gibson's ownership of Tobias, all of the basses made up to 2044 were built by the my regular crew. The first production from Tobias/Nashville consisted of about 60 basses that were not numbered or finished by this crew.[/i]
[i]I left the company in Dec '92 and was a consultant for Gibson for the operations they set up in Nashville. They had some trouble at first, but have since done a fairly good job making Tobias basses.[/i][/font][/size]