Why become a member? ×

Innovation golden slap strings sold

I got these shortly after Christmas and used them until Easter - so they were on my bass about four months. I got them to help build up my finger strength as a complete newbie. They are the same spec as silver slaps, only a golden colour instead of silver. Selling to help finance my other half's drum kit and as an embryonic jazzer, I'm sticking to the steel strings now.

Yours for £55 including UK postage.

Edited by sarah thomas

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1338665884' post='1677889']
Chris, I can tell you they are identical bar the colour
[/quote]

Man, you're quick tonight Clarky! Thanks for the info mate; Sarah, if you still have them I'll take them, please PM me
Clarky, have a good night mate
Cheers
Chris

[b]Threadjack warning[/b]

Chris, have you used these strings before? How do they compare with the stock strings on the Stagg? Reason I ask is that Daf has very kindly lent me a set, but I'm going to have to file the nut on the Stagg to try them. So unless I'm confident that they're an improvement it's a bit of a risk.

Any thoughts?

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1339153512' post='1684408']
[b]Threadjack warning[/b]

Chris, have you used these strings before? How do they compare with the stock strings on the Stagg? Reason I ask is that Daf has very kindly lent me a set, but I'm going to have to file the nut on the Stagg to try them. So unless I'm confident that they're an improvement it's a bit of a risk.

Any thoughts?
[/quote]

Hello mate, good to hear from you. I've used the Silvers which according to Clarky are the same thing. I only had a Stagg for about a week and didn't like it very much so may not be the best person to advise, but I don't think they would be my string of choice for an EUB; I get quite a lot of finger noise from them, they tend to need a high action to play anything but slap (as in my experience - and with my fairly crude technique - they can be quite rattly at low action), and they're very low tension. I used to go for the opposite on my old EUB (Yamaha SLB) as it just sounded muddy with guts or similar. They also don't work with a mag PUP?

In short I wouldn't file the nut unless someone else here gives you the confidence to do so.

Hope I haven't pissed on your barbecue mate, and hope all's well

C

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1339154039' post='1684427']
Hello mate, good to hear from you. I've used the Silvers which according to Clarky are the same thing. I only had a Stagg for about a week and didn't like it very much so may not be the best person to advise, but I don't think they would be my string of choice for an EUB; I get quite a lot of finger noise from them, they tend to need a high action to play anything but slap (as in my experience - and with my fairly crude technique - they can be quite rattly at low action), and they're very low tension. I used to go for the opposite on my old EUB (Yamaha SLB) as it just sounded muddy with guts or similar. They also don't work with a mag PUP?

In short I wouldn't file the nut unless someone else here gives you the confidence to do so.

Hope I haven't pissed on your barbecue mate, and hope all's well

C
[/quote]

Cheers Chris, I knew you had a Stagg at some point but didn't know you didn't like it. They do seem a bit Marmite; as my first upright it's been great fun for me and the band but as I have nothing to compare it with I don't know how much it can be improved. I just guessed from the fact that decent strings are 75+ quid that they might have made savings on a cheap instrument by fitting less than excellent ones.

Life as a bass guitarist was so simple...

My barbecue remains aflame, thank you for asking, and lang may yer ain lum reek.

DB strings are horses for courses though, some strings just work on an instrument irrespective of price; don't just assume that because they're the original that they're not as good as a £100 set on that instrument. First question; are you happy with the sound? If not, ask whether it's strings or the instrument, 'cos with the cost of double bass strings relative to a cheapish EUB, if there's going to be trail and error it might be best to do it with second hand EUBs that you can sell on for the same price. I went from Dean to Stagg to Aria to Yamaha EUBs in less than 6 months and only the Yamaha worked for me. In my experience the strings on an EUB are far less of an issue than the EUB itself. And now I don't even have an EUB as once you've played DB blah blah blah :rolleyes: