Why become a member? ×

active soapbar pick ups with an active pre amp, will this work?

Hey guys

I'm looking to get some Seymour Duncan ASB-BO5/EMG 40DC/EMG 40PJ pick ups for my Tobias but as it already has an active pre amp in it, i'm wondering if active pick ups will work with it.

The main reason i'm asking is because I don't know how the pick ups would be powered? All the ones I'm after have 3 wires coming off of them which would be the hot output wire, earthing wire and battery wire but as you know, pre amps only have attachments for the output and earth wires to connect to. So yeah, would I have to power the pick ups with a separate battery or would they run off the 9/18v of power powering the pre amp?

I hope I'm not being too confusing?

I need an answer ASAP on this if possible please

Cheers
Stevie

power the PUPs of the same battery. Hot, and ground into pre as you say.
One thing to look out for is that the active pups will probably need a 25k blend pot rather than the 250k or 500k that passive pups use

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1337203277' post='1657212']
power the PUPs of the same battery.
[/quote]

One of my Shukers has EMG's... 40J and 40TW to be precise, plus a 3 band pre and it all runs off the same batteries - in my case 18v, but the principle's the same. 9v will just give less headroom.

Yes, I had a pair of EMG P40s in my Tobias bass running off it's already installed preamp and 9V battery. Yes it will work fine. The only thing I can think of that could be a problem in terms of the EMGs, is that they are a high output pickup and *could* clip the preamp. Though this certainly hasn't happened for me.

For added reassurance, see if the preamp cam run at 18v as the EMGs certainly will. This will give you added headroom and obviously, a longer time between battery changes.

Yup, in the case of EMG it'll be a red cable. Take that to the battery + terminal, then pickup grounds will no doubtbsolder on to the casing of one of the pots or another grounded point. Signal + will. Go to your pan pot/ pickup selector.

EMG actually provide really clear schematic diagrmas for wiring up. I think SD do too. The same would apply for the majority of preamps on the market. Some Preamps will specify that they are only suitable for passive pickups. Best to make sure if you are going from passive to active pups.