Why become a member? ×

5 String Necks & Strings

bigsmokebass

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1338918958' post='1681120']

They sound great, how do you get them to last a whole week though?
[/quote]

I've only really used Roto's but the occasional Warwicks and EBs, never really tried to venture any further ^_^

What strings tend to last and within a budget?

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1338865983' post='1680269']
The Roto's I have set on it haven't only released tension in the neck but also sound and feel great on this bass.

I thought at the time, using EB strings would benefit this a lot, as you imagine the manufacturer would know a lot about thier instruments and strings . . .

Roto's forever ;)

BSB
[/quote]

I certainly haven't had a problem with EB strings - all the Musicman basses I have had from new have not had a neck problem as shipped, and they and the others I have haven't had one when re-strung with the same spec - 4 string and 5 string across different models.

When you get chance, try the guage they're shipped with.

Bear in mind Ernie Ball is a string manufacturer - they sell strings for generic instruments - it doesn't neccessarily follow that every type they make will be the best alternative for every type of Musicman instrument. The heavier the guage the more tension on the neck.

Best of luck with your Rotos - I used to use these all the time and I agree they sound great initially, especially for certain genres of music.

Edited by drTStingray

I always used the same string gauges I got with the bass and replaced them every 6 weeks as i enjoyed the chunky B and the trebely D & G so I never saw a problem until the neck started to curl, lol, I'm not saying theyre bad strings, perhaps just a bad set but i can't see for any other reason why this would bow other than the tension from the strings???
Bare in mind I have 4 basses together in cases, the Gibsons and the Fender always with Roto's and the MMSR5 with EB's until recently.

It's fine with the Roto's, tried it tonight and they're still pretty fresh :D

BSB

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1338921332' post='1681158']
I've only really used Roto's but the occasional Warwicks and EBs, never really tried to venture any further ^_^

What strings tend to last and within a budget?
[/quote]

For clangy stainless steel sounds I use DR Hi Beams or Fat Beams, they're almost twice the price of Rotos but they last 5 times as long so are better value in the long run.
For a more mellow sound I use Ernie Ball Slinkys, fairly cheap and last a reasonable amount of time. Plus you can get them in most guitar shops if you need some urgently.
For a more scooped sound I use Status Hotwires, very bassy and also very cheap. They last pretty well too, available on the Status Graphite website.
I've heard good things about Elixirs, again expensive but they last forever because they're coated. I thought they sounded a bit bland plus I had some earthing issues, but I seem to be in the minority.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1338969403' post='1681665']
I've heard good things about Elixirs, again expensive but they last forever because they're coated. I thought they sounded a bit bland plus I had some earthing issues, but I seem to be in the minority.
[/quote]

same here but £35 on eBay for a 5 set, doesn't seem bad all in all but if they are bland as you say, seems pointless having them just because they last forever.
Ive heard some what the same from Warwick EMP(?) strings, but yet nothing on how they sound.

Roto's are always available and slightly cheaper than EB and think thats why i've always used them.
Still sounding nice and bright on my SR5 today :)

I've had several sets of Elites on my SR5 in the past and they do the job well. The DR MM fatbeams have been great however - they seem to produce a bit more mid range as well.

Elixirs also sound great on a Stingray.

However, I can't wait to try some EB Cobalts on one of my SRs - I have them on my Bongo 5 and have been blown away by the increased volume, clarity and general presence they add to the bass sound - according to the blurb they enhance output across the whole range but particularly in the upper mids. The Bongo wasn;t lacking in presence in a mix in the first place, but it just does it even better with these. Not sure what the price is like for 4 string sets but definitely worth a go.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1338997466' post='1682169']
same here but £35 on eBay for a 5 set, doesn't seem bad all in all but if they are bland as you say, seems pointless having them just because they last forever.
[/quote]

Some may argue that bland or characterless strings are better because they let the character of the bass come through..... it's all down to personal taste.

The only way is to try lots of different types of string, it's an expensive business though.

Very true but I like my strings to have a bit of zing and brightness as I find the humbuckers in the Gibsons are quite Mid range dominantated, the MM is easy but I like it to have some nice strings on to bring out the true charactistics (Looking in Marcus Miller DR's) and the fender is easy either way the strings go.

If I do go down the route of trying strings I'll start with DR's and possibly some EBs before Warwick, Elixir and whatever else.

BSB