Why become a member? ×

yami BB1025x

greyparrot

hey guys iv got my usa fender P in the for sale bit, but was wondering if anyone has tried the yamaha Bb1024/5 ? i cant help thinking that it seems a little expensive, but i have not been up close to it.Is the workmanship better on this than say the bb6 series? at around the 700 mark your kinda touching in usa bass department. I have always liked the early trbs and ihad a bb5000 years ago, i liked that but it was a little honky. Got my hands on a 615 today, that had a great sound and he price was cheap.....so whats great about the BB1024/5??

cheers Fellas

Other than shape the two basses have very little in common. Body of the 1000 series is splined, not glued - to improve transmission/sustain. P pickup now uses the blade design - in theory producing a more even output. J pickup has been redesigned - to increase overall output. Bridge is a different alloy - to improve transmission. Saddles are angled at the contact point with the string - to produce a finer witness point. Fret wire is a harder alloy. Nut material is the same as the fret wire - to make the tone of open and fretted notes the same. Stringing can be through body to improve transmission - at an angle to reduce string stress at the bridge. Not saying that any of those points make the 1000 series "great" though.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1337045497' post='1654604']
Other than shape the two basses have very little in common. Body of the 1000 series is splined, not glued - to improve transmission/sustain. P pickup now uses the blade design - in theory producing a more even output. J pickup has been redesigned - to increase overall output. Bridge is a different alloy - to improve transmission. Saddles are angled at the contact point with the string - to produce a finer witness point. Fret wire is a harder alloy. Nut material is the same as the fret wire - to make the tone of open and fretted notes the same. Stringing can be through body to improve transmission - at an angle to reduce string stress at the bridge. Not saying that any of those points make the 1000 series "great" though.
[/quote]

wow lots of tweeks there but in the scale of things for 500 less i may go for the 615, that seemed a decnet bass and good active, many tones. thank you for the details.

[quote name='alanbass1' timestamp='1337500757' post='1660841']
Best way to find out is play one and decide whether it's worth the extra. I have a 2024x and it is a truly wonderful instrument
[/quote]

^ this