Why become a member? ×

Timewarp 1998 USA Standard Precision SOLD

Paul S

A friend of mine wants to move on his Fender Precision. He tells me he bought it new in the late '90s/early '00s' (he is a bit vague) but the serial number (N7323445) tells me it is a '97-98 model. USA Standard, Sunburst with maple neck and fretboard, white plate. Weighs in at around 9.5lbs and has a relatively skinny 40mm wide neck at the nut, albeit quite deep (C shape? I am never sure). Anyway, he realised after buying it he didn't like it much, bought a USA Standard Jazz, kept this as back up and very occasional use since (plays jazz and swing, sits on a stool). It has the original non-Fender hard shell case, in which it has spent most of the ensuing [s]23[/s] 13 years in the cupboard under his stairs. (edit for maths)

I wished I wanted it as I don't imagine bases come long too often in this kind of nick - barely any buckle rash, a couple of really tiny dents that hardly crease the surface, a few tiny scuffs in the scratch plate and that is it. As P-basses go this is fairly lightweight and has a skinny neck - ticks a lot of my boxes. But it isn't me. Neck is a bit thick and I really am not keen on sunburst finishes. It has that lovely woody tone that is exactly as you would expect from a USA P-bass.

I said, by way of a trade off for borrowing it, I would take pics and advertise it on here for him. It really is in remarkable condition for its age and with just a very few minor scuffs here and there - it looks like a bass that is a few months old. The hard shell case has cracks in two corners but is totally secure and sturdy.

[attachment=107830:FP1.jpg][attachment=107831:FP2.jpg][attachment=107832:FP3.jpg][attachment=107833:FP4.jpg][attachment=107834:FP5.jpg]

I asked on here as to its value and was told somewhere between £650 and £750. That was from pictures. It looks so much better than the pictures would suggest so I am putting it up here for the higher figure.

[s][color=#FF0000]Edit 28th May - drop to £700 ono [/color][/s]

[color=#FF0000]Final price drop 17th June to £630 with hard case, £600 without. [/color]

I have no idea how much it would cost to courier this - I guess with insurance somewhere around £30 - I will look into this. Of course pick-up is welcome from Benfleet in Essex, meet half way or even delivery if not too far. Also I would welcome anyone interested to actually have a look at this in the flesh.

Edited by Paul S

Another page 5 rescue. Things move quickly here... 400+ views, no comments, let alone interest! :)

To get a bass of this age in this condition doesn't happen too often.

Would a trade on a musicman stingray be of any interest?

E22714...4 May 2001. Black with Maple. 3EQ.
your Black/maple StingRay was completed on May 4, 2001, and was originally shipped to GC Hollywood

Or a fretless jazz

[b]C025935[/b] 1985 Black Fender Jazz fretless MIJ
Your guitar was made at the
Fuji-gen Plant (for Fender Japan), Japan
in the Year 1985

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1337595137' post='1662351']
Another page 5 rescue. Things move quickly here... 400+ views, no comments, let alone interest! :)

To get a bass of this age in this condition doesn't happen too often.
[/quote]

aww, have a comment from me.

Price drop. The action is currently set a little high, which just proved to be a deal breaker for someone who would have to pay £75 for a set up. In view of this my friend says I can drop to £630 firm with the hard case or rock bottom price of £600 firm without. If you like a higher action or can do the work yourself/get it done cheaper this is a bargain.

No offers on this now - he says he'd rather stick it back under the stairs than give it away!

Edited by Paul S

I've spent 30 mins setting this up for a lower action with a very slight adjustment to the intonation, too. I can now pass a 3mm screw driver under the E string on the 12th fret and it touches slightly. I think you'd need to tweak the truss rod to get it any lower, which I don't think is necessary.

If you are in the market for a USA Standard P-Bass then this is in almost new condition but just over half the price!!

Another bump. I now have an exceedingly tatty hard case good enough to ship the bass in in that case (see what I did there?) this would be £600 plus courier costs.