Why become a member? ×

Fender Maple & black block rarity!!

Personally, I think Fender basses with maple necks and black blocks are truly ghastly, but many love these, and this has to be the rarest bass with this configuration.

I've seen a lot of vintage gear over the years, but never one of these!

Not everyone's cup of tea, including me, but worth a look, a rare bird indeed.

(Not sure how much is left on that truss rod though! ;) )

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1969-Fender-Bass-V-unique-custom-black-maple-Fingerboard-case-/130682045515?pt=Gitarren&hash=item1e6d41c44b#ht_17373wt_1033"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1969-Fender-Bass-V-unique-custom-black-maple-Fingerboard-case-/130682045515?pt=Gitarren&hash=item1e6d41c44b#ht_17373wt_1033[/url]

Hmmmm ... over £3000 for a bass that was deemed an unpopular failure at the time, and was never revived as a design even at the height of the "[i]if it's old then it's good[/i]" retro boom.

I don't know if that's considered a reasonable asking price in the market, but surely only a very serious vintage Fender collector would pay it?

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1337525816' post='1661362']
Hmmmm ... over £3000 for a bass that was deemed an unpopular failure at the time, and was never revived as a design even at the height of the "[i]if it's old then it's good[/i]" retro boom.

I don't know if that's considered a reasonable asking price in the market, but surely only a very serious vintage Fender collector would pay it?
[/quote]

I agree, i think its a case of the seller pitching high on the initial sale, as its such a rarity, there's no benchmark on price. Its one of those oddities that could sell within 30 seconds at that price, or not get a sniff for 2 years at $2000? Not exactly a saturated market, neither is it everyones cup of tea. It would have to be almost free for me to be interested. I wouldnt mind a nice dot neck sunburst with the chrome covers though!