Why become a member? ×

maplins step down USA-UK power transformer

got this with my mutron octaver so i could use it in the uk, but now i dont need it anymore as i sold the mutron to a guy in france!

so ye, similar to the ones for sale now at maplins for £30

as new, and boxed

heavy so shipping wont be cheap, pickup up from bristol prefferable

make me an offer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

why, you live in uk dont you??

if you have an amp with american voltage with an american plug, then this will let you use it in the uk

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='umph' post='222594' date='Jun 20 2008, 12:11 AM']would this work for amps etc?[/quote]

It depends on the power of the amp. You need the model number of the transformer so that you can check the rating on the Maplin website.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='223903' date='Jun 22 2008, 12:17 AM']UK to USA Voltage Converter Auto 300VA Transformer
input 230Vac
max current 1.3A
Frequency 50hz
Output 110vac
max current 2.7A
capacity 300va[/quote]

So it'll handle a 300W amp.

• 2 years later...

[quote name='bassbloke' post='224576' date='Jun 22 2008, 10:06 PM']So it'll handle a 300W amp.[/quote]

It'll handle an amp that [u]draws[/u] 300W from the mains. That's not quite the same thing as a 300W (music power) amp.

Amps are not 100% efficient so a 300W output would have to draw a bit more than 300W from the mains supply. The exact amount will depend on the efficiency of the amp. If it was 80% efficient then is would draw 375W from the mains.

However, this only applies at the maximum rating (full volume) of the amp, so you might be OK in 'normal' use.

If it was me, I'd measure the power consumption of the amp in normal use, but I appreciate that's not easy without the right test gear.