Why become a member? ×

Early '80's Satellite neck-thru Precision, hot-rodded with P / J Bartolinis

Shaggy

So, you’d like a nice ash body, maple neck Precision.

But hold on a sec…….
what if it was neck through, with a nice rounded neck heel rather than that awkward boxy bolt-on heel. No more faffing about with neck shims either.
More sustain too - in fact bung a brass nut on as well to improve it even more…..
And how about an added J pickup at the bridge….be able to mix a bit of Jazz bass bite / burp into that deep P bass growl….
If fact make both p/ups Bartolinis, hi-fi articulate but do the vintage tone too
Oh, and swap the BBOT bridge for something decent – how about a Badass?
Then lastly…….make it dirt cheap

Well, this has been my working gigging bass since completion (see http://basschat.co.uk/topic/166437-satellite-back-in-orbit/page__p__1522939__hl__orbit__fromsearch__1#entry1522939 ), but I’ve got my eye on something else I want - purely from a “band image” perspective.
Since the thread above I’ve put in a proper circuit (taken out of a Squier P/J) – so controls are master vol, and p/up blend with centre detent. The passive tone control pot is taped up (set to full) in the control cavity – I never use it, and wanted to keep the front 2-conrtol only, but the potential is there to fit.
Also I replaced the control knobs with solid brass for that ‘80’s-tastic look, but if anyone prefers the Bakelite ones I can change them back.

Pros;
Instantly familiar Fender Precision feel and playability (I’ve got a ’65 P so I should know…)
Nice straight neck, low action, very little fret wear.
Poly finish in good shape bar a couple of body dings.
Tone is just superb ( I won’t say AWESOME - lol – but it is!). Boutique bass territory, no question..
No-one else will have one like this….
Cons; Heavy-ish; I don’t have any scales, but it’s equivalent to an ash-bodied ‘70’s Fender or my old Ibanez Musician
One bridge locating screw sheared off. Bridge is rock solid with the other 4, so I haven’t bothered drilling it out.
In my haste to fit the bridge Jazz p/up I didn’t drill pilot holes for the locating screws. Result; two sheared off as the wood was so hard. There’s actually just enough play in the p/up-cavity fit to drill new holes just alongside, but as it’s sitting totally stable at just the right height, again I’ve left as is.
A couple of screw holes in body for p/up and bridge covers filled in and lacquered over.
£160 collected (Swansea) for it with a decent generic chrome “high mass” type bridge (see the pic of unstrung bass) or £200 with the Badass II.. *SOLD* Sorry Shonks for the late edit, thought I'd done.....

Edited by Shaggy

That looks like a cracker Greg, and if you've used it as you main squeeze it can't be al that bad either. The aftermarket bits are probably worth what you're asking for the bass, and there's something very nice about neck through instruments :)

Thanks Chris - Seems to be a glut of decent cheapie basses FS here at the moment!

Enjoy that Mesa 400, recently acquired a Mesa D-180 myself and looking out for another 1516EV.....

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1336588970' post='1648111']
Thanks Chris - Seems to be a glut of decent cheapie basses FS here at the moment!

Enjoy that Mesa 400, recently acquired a Mesa D-180 myself and looking out for another 1516EV.....
[/quote]

We live in parallel worlds (with Clarky)!

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1336591369' post='1648156']

We live in parallel worlds (with Clarky)!
[/quote]

Lol - ain't that the truth!

Couple more bumps before I keep the old girl, grow a mullet, and join a Kajagoogoo tribute band....

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Shonks' timestamp='1339175612' post='1684991']
fancy putting sold in the title so I dont have to read thru the whole thing to find out? :unsure:
[/quote]

The experienced buyer on BC always reads the last post, then the first :rolleyes:

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1339176544' post='1685015']
The experienced buyer on BC always reads the last post, then the first :rolleyes:
[/quote]ah...have to start collecting loads of basses like the rest of you then....lol

[quote name='Shonks' timestamp='1339175612' post='1684991']
fancy putting sold in the title so I dont have to read thru the whole thing to find out? :unsure:
[/quote]

Apologies Shonks, guilty as charged - thought I'd done, now have!

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1339260305' post='1686057']
Apologies Shonks, guilty as charged - thought I'd done, now have!
[/quote]toooooo late, I read it and wanted it......still want it...now I cant have it........now I dont want it.....I went through a whole range emotions .....but I forgive you...!! best.......S