Why become a member? ×

Headstock crack ! Need Help

hi there, i have recently discovered a crack in the headstock of my EUB... and i was hoping that the people of bass chat could help me out.

the only time i can think this could have happened, is when the bag for the double bass snapped and caused it to hit the floor

but anyway anyone know of anything to put in there to prevent it getting worse? the bass plays fine but sometimes when it tune the wood makes a horrible noise that gets picked up by my amp.....

here are some photos

[attachment=107067:IMAG0477.jpg]
[attachment=107068:IMAG0479.jpg]
[attachment=107069:IMAG0480.jpg]
[attachment=107070:IMAG0478.jpg]

I wouldn't risk thinking I had managed to fix it myself unless I have had experience of such things. I've just had a Les Paul headstock repaired. Well, actually the heel of the headstock. I nasty crack it was and the guy only charged £40 for the repair.
If the 'split' looks like it is in danger of travelling you need to sort it asap.I would imagine any more knocks won't help, and who knows what the tension is doing, as pointed out by Doctor J.
At least get quotes mate.

DIY then (destroy it yourself lol) .. plenty of clamps, scrap wood and thin superglue or woodwork glue. Luthier who fixed small crack in heel of my Kramer used superglue. Try clamping methods before using the glue. Clean glue as it squeezes out. Good luck. As above, should not be an expensive repair, seek advice. Guitar player in band bought 335 with broken headstock, had repair done, it is invisible and was excellent value.

Edited by 3below