Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can anyone recommend a decent bridge for a 5 string flat top?

Hey all,

So I've stumbled upon a beaut of a 5 string that I'm going to attempt to refurb. I love the body shape, feel of the neck and finish as it is, not so keen on the electronics (which add a shed load of unnecessary weight) and the flimsy bridge. Given that I can coax a workable sound out of the electronics for now and I'm not yet developing a stoop, I thought I'd change the bridge first.

I'm looking for a bridge that wouldn't be a total swine to fit on a flat top body (first refurb project), 5 string obviously, can be strung through, isn't too finicky to get set up, comes in black and can be purchased for a max of about £100. Does such a beast exist? Whoever fitted the original bridge shouldn't have been allowed near a drill, so will probably end up filling those 5 holes and starting a fresh.

Any advice welcome...
Scott

Hipshot Type A (sometimes called A-Style) is what you need :) you can pick them up on Ebay from the US, I managed not to get stung for any import duty so it was a bargain, I think Bass Direct sell them if you would rather buy from the UK.

Yah, my thoughts exactly, can't find an A-B audio comparrison anywhere either.

Well, the current electronics in this beast seem ridiculously heavy to me, so I'm expecting to save a bit of weight when I've switched out the pickups and preamp. That said, it's not like I've ever done this before, so no idea what stuff that sounds better will add or subtract to the weight. Maybe every pickup could be used as a blunt murder weapon and these ones aren't unusual after all.

I guess I'll go aluminium this time just to be safe...

Scott

There's a lot of metal in pick-ups they mostly weigh a ton, put a couple in a sock and you have a bar brawl weapon, I think you can get some with Neo magnets that are a lot lighter but I expect they cost a small fortune.

Good luck with the refub.

I'd throw the Schaller 3D5 into the potentials:

Like the Hipshot it gives you string spacing adjustment, but on the other hand it doesn't have through body stringing. Very nice bridge though, I have a 4 string one on one of my basses.

Neepheid - yeah I've heard a lot of good stuff about Schaller. Liking the looks, but I'm hoping to string through body really on this bass, so not gonna be a Schaller this time.

BigRedX - aha, I know absolutely nothing about ABM, will check it out. Cheers!