Why become a member? ×

Valuing a custom bass

martfitz

Hi Everyone,

Not sure where to post this so don't shout at me if it's in the wrong place.

I have a custom bass that I've had for around 10 years now, and to be honest it's not getting the use that it deserves.

It's pretty niche as it's a Flying V, but how do I realistically value it? I know what I paid for it and realise that I would never get that, has anyone else had a similar dilemma?

(Has gold pots on now)

I'm sure there'll be others along shortly to confirm this - Custom basses are rarely worth (read "sell for") anything like what you pay to have them built, after all, most buyers are after a "name" on the headstock. An instrument's rarity and what it means to you doesn't always relate to it's market value(sale price)..The only way to find out really is to put it up for sale and let it find it's own level..

Is this the Ray Cooper in your sig? Isn't he based in Hertfordshire??

Nice paint by the way..

Edited by TheGreek

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1336154811' post='1641939']
I'm sure there'll be others along shortly to confirm this - Custom basses are rarely worth (read "sell for") anything like what you pay to have them built, after all, most buyers are after a "name" on the headstock. An instrument's rarity and what it means to you doesn't always relate to it's market value(sale price)..The only way to find out really is to put it up for sale and let it find it's own level..

Is this the Ray Cooper in your sig? Isn't he based in Hertfordshire??

Nice paint by the way..
[/quote]

Yes it is the same one, and yes he's based in Hertfordshire.

I'm not desperate to get rid but it doesn't get played much these days. I know that selling a custom instrument isn't an exact science, you know what you're getting when it says Fender, Stingray or Gibson on the headstock.

I guess I'll have to see.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1336156426' post='1641969']
Don't think that sort of thing works with custom ones, no comparison point, so everyone is cagey about it. The original price is for a custom made for you item, which ceases to apply when resold, as its just an odd item then.
[/quote]

Exactly, hence my dilemma.

It's quite an acquired taste, flying V and those custom options are not exactly common on a bass! That said, it will be perfect for someone.

With [i]that[/i] said, you will do better if more people are interested in it, if there is no competition the buyer will probably do well out of it.