Why become a member? ×

Gotoh GB tuners

Has anybody here tried the above-mentioned tuners? I've been looking at getting some new one's for my P as the standard one's are struggling to hold their tuning. The Gotohs seem to retail at about £40 (eBay) which is about half the price of the Fender and Hipshot one's I've looked at. Does anyone know how they compare?

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1336067173' post='1640487']
I've a few different Gotoh sets on the go here. You tune up, they stay in tune until you decide you want to change that. Don't know what else to tell you.
[/quote]

That's all I really needed to know I suppose, I've had Hipshots in the past and they were excellent, but about twice the price of the Gotohs, I think I paid £88 for a set of 4 HB-2s a few years back, they've since gone up in price. As the Gotohs were much cheaper I didn't know if there would a great difference in the quality, you get what you pay for as they say.

I've got a set of Ultralites (real ones, not licenced) and had a DeTuner in the past. In my experience, Gotoh are [i]at least[/i] as good quality.... in fact, they feel more solid to me. I've got GB7s on a couple of basses and they're as solid as you're going to find. I think Hipshot are outrageously overpriced, to be honest, rather than Gotoh being cheap.

I've got Gotoh tuners on several of my basses, and their locking machine heads on one of my guitars all of which are excellent.

However IME tuning problems on Fender style basses are more likely to be caused by string trees and excessive amounts of string wound around the machine head posts all of which are required to compensate for the non-angled headstock.

Great stuff, thanks everyone! These are the tuners I was looking at, but I found them from a seller on ebay for £42.95:

http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/Vintage_Style_Bass_Tuners_Open_Gear_Nickel_GB-2LN

Looks like a purchase is going to be scheduled in for payday, good job that this is our month off with the council tax! :D