Why become a member? ×

Warwick Rockbass Shock

dr.funk

For some silly reason I have always been rather anti-warwick. Anyway I went for a jam at a friends house today and used his bass a Warwick Corvette through an SWR LA10 or 12.

The sound really surprised me, I think it is the best slap tone I have ever acheieved. It didn't nessecarily sound better than my jazz but much springier, more like a musicman or those clips of peds vigier - surprising for a j configuration.

Has anyone else had any experience with these basses? Im sorely tempted to get one for mucking about on. How does the warwick corvette compare? Is there much of a difference?

Chris

Not had much experience with the Rockbass line other than the odd tinker in a shoppe. IMHO the German made ones are completely different and worth finding the extra money for. I moved from a MIM Jazz to an Active Corvette and didn't regret it. Now on a Thumb Bolt On and lovin' it.

[quote name='martthebass' post='18522' date='Jun 15 2007, 07:50 PM']Not had much experience with the Rockbass line other than the odd tinker in a shoppe. IMHO the German made ones are completely different and worth finding the extra money for. I moved from a MIM Jazz to an Active Corvette and didn't regret it. Now on a Thumb Bolt On and lovin' it.[/quote]

I remember mention of the german made warwicks. They are quite expensive now though? Are they actual warwicks or warwick rockbasses that are made in germany? I was under the impression all warwicks were made in germany.

I bought a Warwick Rockbass Streamer Basic from Thumbo's shop in Plymouth on impulse in the days before I had a stingray. It made more than a reasonable account of itself in a side by side comparison with the authentic thing. The only downside was that the bass lacked a bit of warmth - even after I installed an EMG BTC preamp. Possibly I should have put an Aguilar or similar instead but the EMG meant I didn't have to drill the bass.

[quote name='dr.funk' post='19202' date='Jun 17 2007, 05:08 PM']I remember mention of the german made warwicks. They are quite expensive now though? Are they actual warwicks or warwick rockbasses that are made in germany? I was under the impression all warwicks were made in germany.[/quote]

They are expensive new but the ash bodied corvette standards can still be found new around £430ish I think. They are a better bet second hand, for some reason the corvettes don't hold value so well in the first year or so (bit like a Ford Mondeo). I sold my 1 year old 'vette active a couple of months ago (in absolutely mint condition) for £350 on ebay - so there are bargains to be had.

The Rockbasses are the same shape and use MEC pickups but the German Warwicks use the 2 part bridges and more importantly the wenge/ovangkol necks (Rockbasses are standard maple/rosewood) which (allegedly) give the characteristic Warwick Growl. Hope this was useful.

ps. Sorry, realised I hadn't answered your question; Warwicks are made in Germany, the Rockbass line is made in China. I think some of the QC/final fit on the Rockbasses may still be done in Germany IIRC.

Edited by martthebass