Why become a member? ×

Second Bass Build From Scratch

rennie234

Hey all after spending sometime pondering about buying a fretless to try out, I've decided to go ahead and build my own. The first bass i built has been awesome and gets used every week for gigging (Pic Below).

Anyway its still in early stages yet but after browsing the web for ideas I came across this "funky" looking thing;

[url="http://buildingtheergonomicguitar.com/wp-content/uploads/Little-Guitar-Works/Padilla-Electric-Bass-Guitar.jpg"][/url]

So heres the plan;

- Maple Neck
- Rosewood Fingerboard
- 4 Strings
- Mahogany Body
- 34" scale
- Fender Jazz pups
- Just 1 pot for volume no tone (both pups wired together)
- 2x2 Machine Heads
- Glue In Neck

Now a quick question, Im not planning on using a truss rod because from what i can tell the neck can be perfectley strait? So I am thinking of routing 2 channels side by side down the neck and inserting 2 steel rods to simply strenghen the neck and keep it strait. Will this work?

The design so far;

Body

Headstock

I'll keep you posted on the progress,

Give me a shout if you have any questions or sugestions ;)

Cheers Chris

Edited by rennie234

Yo,

That bass, if my memory serves me correct, is designed for the female form. So It mightn't balance correctly for a fella.
Generally speaking the top horn should hang over the 12th fret so it won't neck dive.

As for the neck. I would put a truss rod in. Maple is a hard wood but will still bend under pressure, especially if you don't splice it. You will get a better action with a truss rod.
I'd go for carbon fibre rods rather than steel. It's just as strong and lighter (balance).

What neck type will you be making? Fender style? Scarf joint?

Also, I'd use a ebony board if you making a fretless. Rosewood will wear out.

If you need any advice drop me a pm-Paul-

Have to agree with Paulflan, defo put a truss rod in. Its not just about keeping the neck straight, you need a little give for a good neck relief.
Personally i think the carbon fibre is optional for a 4 string, but hey...i'm old school.
Good luck!
Ian

If you're going for the 'one volume pot, no tone control' route I would wire the pups in series (and in phase) for more mids and 'ooomph' - parallel with both full-on will in all likelyhood sound crap. YMMV

Best of luck with the build - I like the look of the bass, beats the 'standard' Fender shape :)

HTH,
Ian

[quote name='Bottle' timestamp='1335972828' post='1638863']
If you're going for the 'one volume pot, no tone control' route I would wire the pups in series (and in phase) for more mids and 'ooomph' - parallel with both full-on will in all likelyhood sound crap. YMMV

Best of luck with the build - I like the look of the bass, beats the 'standard' Fender shape :)

HTH,
Ian
[/quote]

How do i go about doing the wireing in that respect mate?

[quote name='rennie234' timestamp='1335976037' post='1638931']
How do i go about doing the wireing in that respect mate?
[/quote]
Wire the 'ground' of the first pickup - bridge pup is probably best for this one - to the vol pot ground/backshell and the jack ground. Take the bridge pup 'hot' wire and wire it to the neck pup 'cold' or 'ground', then take the neck 'hot' wire to the vol pot wiper. The 'hot' wire from the pot then goes to the 'hot' output on the jack. This arrangement will be hum-cancelling as well.

HTH,
Ian