Why become a member? ×

OK, I finally decided on an Ashdown MAG 300 Evo II but which combination?

Mornats

Whys is buying an amp such a pain? :) Ah well, after looking at almost every option I've decided to go with an Ashdown MAG 300 Evo II based amp. I've got a few options here and possibly a few questions.

I can get a new MAG 300 amp head from Anderton's for £250 with interest free (meaning I can get one now). I'll need a cab to go with it, which would be £200 for the 210t Ashdown cab. However, I can get both from Kenny's Music for £360 but not with finance so I'll have to wait a few months.

So that pushes me into looking at the MAG 300 210 combo from Anderton's which is £360. However I'd prefer separates due to the weight. 35kg is a tad too heavy I think. I think my best option would be to try and get a price match. No harm in asking them I guess.

So, questions. An 8ohm cab will get me 200w out of the amp and I believe the combo will push out 200w from the built in speakers too. I know I can add another 2x10 8 ohm cab to the separates but can I add one to the combo if needed in the future? Also, any sense in buying a 4ohm 2x10 cab instead?

I bought the same amp new but I bought my two Ashdown 210 cabs and an Ashdown 115 cab from some lovely BCers. They seem to come up fairly regularly on here - I guess it depends how desperate you are. Ultimately it's all personal choice but I would stick with separates for flexibility and ease of carting stuff around.

I would stick with 8 ohm cabs. By the time 200W-ish into a 210 is not loud enough another cab will make more difference than another 100W into the same cab.

Your MAG 300 is even cheaper from Thomann >> [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/ashdown_mag_300h.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/ashdown_mag_300h.htm[/url]
Tuck a couple of these under it >> [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/ashdown_vs112.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/ashdown_vs112.htm[/url]
...and you've got yourself a pretty sweet lil' rig for under £500 and Thomann give you a 3 year warranty on everything!
The Mi12 Cabs are likely to be around £250 when they become available, and you can get two VS 112s for the same price.

You can go with one 1x12 when you don't too much oomph and rock both of them when you do, plus the VS cabs look pimp :)

I'm seriously considering picking up a couple of the VS 112s myself too, but my 500W head might be a bit too much for them, but not an issue for you if you go for thr MAG 300 head...

Eude

Ooh, nice prices you found on Thomann. I've ordered a few things from them before and like their service. Aren't the VS112s rated at 125w? Would the 200w from the MAG 300 be a bit much for a single cab? Also, would 2 VS112s cope with 250w? i.e. you just double the power capability of a single cab if you have two? I'm not that experienced with separate amps and cabs so always need to ask.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1335906133' post='1637973']
Ooh, nice prices you found on Thomann. I've ordered a few things from them before and like their service. Aren't the VS112s rated at 125w? Would the 200w from the MAG 300 be a bit much for a single cab? Also, would 2 VS112s cope with 250w? i.e. you just double the power capability of a single cab if you have two? I'm not that experienced with separate amps and cabs so always need to ask.
[/quote]

I'm fairly sure a single VS-112 would be fine with the MAG at 200W, as long as you don't go too mental.
If I'm right, when you hook two 8 Ohm Cabs to a 4 Ohm Load, you half the wattage, so 300W into 2 8 Ohm Loads would be 150W per load, again, as long as you don't go mental, you'll be fine.
Maybe you should shoot Ashdown an email, just to be sure though... :)

Eude

Yes, that would be my interpretation, but it would be interesting to hear the official line from Ashdown.

On paper, the amp can deliver more power than these cabs are rated for - singly or as a pair - so my bet is that Ashdown wouldn't recommend this config.

We all know that amps can be used with lower-rated cabs without problem as long as care is taken, but accidents can happen . . . .

Yeah, I'd be a little worried about pushing it too far. I emailed Ashdown to see what they say about it all.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1335889382' post='1637625']
I would stick with 8 ohm cabs. By the time 200W-ish into a 210 is not loud enough another cab will make more difference than another 100W into the same cab.
[/quote]

This sounds like the right thing to do. Just need to decide on the cab now. I've asked Anderton's if they'd price match the MAG300 + C210T bundle that Kenny's Music do (which is £100 cheaper than buying them separate from Anderton's) but it's a bit of an ask so I don't expect them to agree to it. Worth asking though!

[quote name='Gordon 'Thudmaster' May' timestamp='1335911017' post='1638074']
[b]Hey Buddy! Would just like to say, If you can't pay cash, don't buy!!![/b]
[/quote]

Wise words! I'm in no rush really so could always wait until I have the cash. But interest free is quite handy at times...

I got a rather speedy reply from Guy at Ashdown about the VS112s and he says (and I quote) "they're not man enough to handle the MAG 300 head" and I'm better off with the C210Ts that are specifically designed for it.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1335966953' post='1638755']
Wise words! I'm in no rush really so could always wait until I have the cash. But interest free is quite handy at times...

I got a rather speedy reply from Guy at Ashdown about the VS112s and he says (and I quote) "they're not man enough to handle the MAG 300 head" and I'm better off with the C210Ts that are specifically designed for it.
[/quote]

Fair enough mate.
Sounds like you're best giving the VS112s a miss then.
Was worth a punt ;-)

Hope you get yourself a nice lil' rig soon!

Eude

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1335966953' post='1638755']
But interest free is quite handy at times...
[/quote]

. . . except it is never actually free. Someone, somewhere, pays for borrowing the money - usually the customer in the form of a higher initial price. If someone is offering interest-free deals ask them for a discount for cash. :D