Why become a member? ×

Recording costs

Low End Bee

Interested to know how much you all pay for your recording?
We've been on a good deal recently but now we've had a bit of a steep price increase on our recording quote. Not sure if it's still good.value. I love the results we get so we may just have to swallow it anyway.
We only look at doing 3 tracks at a time. Bass and drums with a guide guitar and vocal. Guitar track/overdubs and (rarely) extra percussion. Vocal track. Normally about 8 hours in the studio for that. Then mixed/mastered. Nothing fancy. How much do you think we should be forking out?

We paid £200+£25 Mixing and Mastering fee (White Bear Studios, Adlington) for our last recording (Hard to Get on the youtube channel below) although we went to another studio to do some guest vocals, which was i think £160 a day, including mixing and mastering, and my god it was a good studio (Alien Sound in Ormskirk)

Liam

We paid about £700 for the four days to record, mix and master our last single. Sounds like a lot, but we wanted to use somewhere with a big and good sounding live room to allow us to record everything at the same time and then just overdub the vocals and a little bit of extra guitar.

The rest of the time with been very fortunate to be able to find local studios that were keen to record us for free because they liked the band. The tracking wasn't as easy but we got some decent end results and consequently have enough tracks recorded to release and album for the cost of the single...

Our typical day (10-6ish) gets us three tracks. 5 piece band recorded live (in glorious analogue) with guide vocal. As long as a good drum take is down, the bass, guitars and keys can be redone/dropped in if necessary then extra guitar/key tracks if required. Vocals and bv, mixed and mastered.
£180 all in!
And the pleasure of working with Jim Riley at [url="http://www.ranscombestudios.com/"]Ranscombe Studios[/url]

Edited by Booooooom

I've just had a listen around on the interweb to some bands (no Basschatters involved as far as I know. Don't worry) studio recordings that paid around the same as we will for our next session/mixing and have now decided we're getting excellent value for money. They all sound like demos!
I've had to unskinflint my thinking and accept we were just getting a bargain earlier.

[quote name='Booooooom' timestamp='1335885344' post='1637538']
Our typical day (10-6ish) gets us three tracks. 5 piece band recorded live (in glorious analogue) with guide vocal. As long as a good drum take is down, the bass, guitars and keys can be redone/dropped in if necessary then extra guitar/key tracks if required. Vocals and bv, mixed and mastered.
£180 all in!
And the pleasure of working with Jim Riley at [url="http://www.ranscombestudios.com/"]Ranscombe Studios[/url]
[/quote]

I've heard good things about Ranscombe. Very cheap too!

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1335885470' post='1637543']
I've heard good things about Ranscombe. Very cheap too!
[/quote]

by the way, please don't think that the tunes on myspace in my sig were done there - THEY WEREN'T!! - they are homemade demos recorded when we started and we haven't got around to updating/redoing them :blush:. Everything we've done at Ranscombe are originals and hope to have an album ready later in the year