Why become a member? ×

Speaker distortion - newbie alert!

Kevsy71

Hi all, my Trace Elliot 2x10 (2001T) cab sounds distorted at all volumes, both speakers seem to be at fault. They are Celestion 10"s rated at 16Ω, wired in parallel, and have been plugged in (with speaker cable) to a Trace GP7 SM 150, which has two 8Ω speaker outputs. The Amp is a combo and sounds fine with its own speaker, but trying the extension cab either with or without the combo speaker plugged in results in fuzzy distortion...(I have tried both speaker outputs from the amp, no luck).

The dust cap of each speaker appears to have lost its bond with the cone for approx 1/3 of its circumference, see red areas circled in pictures:

...could that be causing the distortion, and if so any tips how to fix it?

Thanks for looking and any advice much appreciated :)

Edited by Kevsy71

Good afternoon, Kevsy71...

It rather seems that the cause of the distortion has been found (although there may be other problems, too, masked by this one...).
I would suggest that you have 3 options here...[list=1]
[*]Carefully glue the dust cap back into place (perhaps neoprene adhesive..?) so that it no longer vibrates.
[*]Have the pair re-coned
[*]Swap out the speakers for a new pair.
[/list]
The first option is, of course, the cheapest, and could be tried, at least. If unsuccessful, on the second, and so on.
Don't go off doing this immediatley, please; others here may well have superior suggestions and/or remedies to offer.
Hope this helps...

Yes.
That'll be a major factor in the distortion.

Old fashioned Copydex glue will do the trick - it's very flexible, and being mostly liquid rubber, it creates a good airtight seal.
I've used it on torn speakers and popped dust caps for years and the success rate has been quite high.

Give it a go - as Dad3353 says, if it doesn't work you're looking at a recone anyway - so you've nothing to lose. :)

Much appreciated, Dad 3353 and iCastle - I'm going to give it a go as I'm fully prepared to swap out for a pair of Eminence. I have some of the "Power flex" (rubber infused) Super Glue, which is intended for flexibility, will let you know the results!

OK no luck with either the rubberised Super Glue or Copydex, have opened the cab and now suspect the wiring...

The speakers are the original Celestion C10H-100s at 16 Ohm. The amp and cab are rated at 8 Ohm, so I would have thought the default wiring would be parallel to present 8 Ohm.

But, it does not appear possible: the red/black leads coming from the cab jack socket terminate in one +ve and one -ve spade connector. So at best I would be able to connect those to one speaker and then link that to the other in series, to present 32 Ohm....not a good match for the amp. Any suggestions on how best to achieve parallel wiring? Cheers.

EDIT: :blush: schoolboy error - parallel achieved by jack to speaker 1 +ve, then onto speaker 2 +ve; then jack to speaker 1 -ve, then into speaker 2 -ve. Distortion still there, so am going to bite the bullet and get a couple more speakers...

Edited by Kevsy71

While you're poking about in the back of the cab check for anything foreign stuck to the magnets or wedged between cone and basket, loose battens that may have become unstuck, make sure the speaker cables are no where near the cones and tighten the screws for the drivers. And probably some other stuff that I've forgotten. :rolleyes:

^this. Also, push the cone gently back - do you feel any scraping or resistance to movement? If you do, it indicates a damaged coil in which case a re-cone or replacement is your only option.

Are you able to test the speakers individually or with a different amp/system to eliminate other potential problems?

Finally, check parameters before fitting non-OE drivers. The cab will have been built to match the original drivers (or vice/versa; Celestion did/does make custom drivers for its big customers).

Thanks for the advice Musky and Muttley (Deputy Dawg and Stop the Pigeon references in one thread, love it :lol: ) . Tried out the steps above, nothing obvious and still distorting when tested separately...so I've now got a couple of new Celestion BL10-200S in there and they sound great, so will see if anyone is interested in the dodgy ones for parts.