Why become a member? ×

A tale of two bass deliveries... UK v USA (part 1)

warwickhunt

Two parcels booked within 10 minutes of each other (both through Interparcel / UPS) on Tuesday evening.

One going from the South of the UK to the North of the UK (we'll call it the UK parcel); the other going UK to USA (... the USA parcel).

The UK parcel was collected this morning and the parcel tracking as of 21:30 tonight shows it... a few miles from where it was collected in the South.

The USA parcel was collected this morning and as of 14:30 this afternoon (the same day that it was collected) was shown as... awaiting final clearance 100 miles from it's ultimate destination in the USA! :o

All hail the UK delivery service and who'd like to start placing bets on which one gets delivered first? :lol:

Hmmmmm - interesting. But methinks there's something wrong on the US end of things. Presuming the US parcel was picked up no earlier than 8am - even if it was taken to a UK airport within an hour to a waiting plane - it's still roughly a 6 hour flight to anywhere on the east coast of the US. So that would mean it landing and being scanned immediately by UPS and then by chance being within 100 miles of it's final destination. I suppose that could all actually be the case - and now I feel very silly writing this but shall not admit defeat and delete everything.

Onwards to the conclusion!!!!!!!!

Edited by Gareth Hughes

I wondered about the timings to the USA but my take was that the time at destination (bearing in mind I quoted the time given on the tracking rather than the time I looked online, which was 21:30) could be USA time. Hence you could add on the time difference between UK and USA to establish the actual time taken between collection and arrival at USA depot.

[i][size=5][size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I purchased a bass from Pueblo [i think][/font] in Mexico. It took 2 days to arrive in U.K.[/size][/size][/i]
[i][size=5][size=4]via Mexico city and Clevland, and 3 days to travel 200 miles from Manchester[/size][/size][/i]
[i][size=5][size=4]to Scotland. [/size][/size][/i]

USA - Now no longer awaiting final clearance in the USA but in fact... 26/04/2012 03:46 EAST MIDLANDS AIRPOR, GB DEPARTURE SCAN

UK - Last update... 26/04/2012 04:00 GATESHEAD, GB ARRIVAL SCAN

Not sure what happened with USA but I have a feeling that the tracking was referring to 'awaiting final clearance' for the documentation of export rather than the bass!

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1335420276' post='1630672']
USA - Now no longer awaiting final clearance in the USA but in fact... 26/04/2012 03:46 EAST MIDLANDS AIRPOR, GB DEPARTURE SCAN

UK - Last update... 26/04/2012 04:00 GATESHEAD, GB ARRIVAL SCAN

Not sure what happened with USA but I have a feeling that the tracking was referring to 'awaiting final clearance' for the documentation of export rather than the bass!
[/quote]

I have found when receiving packagaes from USA via UPS that the UPS tracker reports scans in the wrong order. Even if you consider the time difference.
It's almost like they do an offline scan and then periodically load a batch file of scans up to the computer say at the end of the shift or something.
Sometimes this results in an arrival scan showing up before a departure scan!!

I don't really pay any attention to the timings but the location of the scans tells you how far it's got.

Edited by Twigman