Why become a member? ×

Cable question - Where can I get a Banana Plug to Male 1/4" jack cable?

spiderjazz

I'm thinking of picking up a cheap power amp ([url="http://www.thomann.de/ie/tamp_s100.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/ie/tamp_s100.htm[/url])to run a preamp into a cab, but the back of the power amp has banana plug connections, which I want to use to get the full power from the amp. I can't find a banana plug to 1/4" male cable on any of the normal music sites I use, any ideas where I could pick one up?

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1335430428' post='1630818']
The amp you've linked to has Speakon connectors or terminal posts (not banana plug sockets). You need Speakon to 1/4 jack speaker leads (not audio cables). Best bet here is to talk to obbm.
[/quote]

Looking at the back of the amp, i think he's intending to Bridge instead of running 2 power amps, for which there is no speakon connector. Although, your suggestion of talking to OBBM is a good one, as i'm sure he can make a bridging cable with speakons for this.

Liam

Could be right Liam, it's just that every time I see the phrase 'get the full power from the amp' I start to lose the will to live.

To get the max volume, he needs to run 2 4Ohm speakers one off each channel and move the maximum amount of air.

As far as I can see, the spec doesn't say what the output impedance or power delivery is for bridged mode.

Normally bridge mode delivers the sum of the individual channels into twice the minimum ohmage.

So in this case if each channel delivers 100W into 4 ohms minimum, then in bridge mode you should get 200W into 8 ohms minimum.

However you need to check the manual of full specs which don't seem to be published in that listing to see exactly how bridge mode is delivered.

If you want to use bridge mode you'll have to use the terminal posts (I thought these were illegal on power amps now!) so you need a speaker lead with a jack plug at one end and two bare ends at the other.
honestly, I wouldn't risk it personally, but if you do make sure nobody puts their drink down near the back of that thing!

Thanks for the responses all, I assumed it was banana plugs, but as you said it was terminal posts that I was looking at to bridge the channels. I've ended up using a single channel with a speakon to jack connection, and for my current needs (playing in my bedroom), it's more than doing the job! Thanks for the help.