Why become a member? ×

mibass 550 vs littlemark LM250

thebuckets

LB212 is a great cab powerful, light, tight deep lows, made in uk, exquistly made (well mine is) very well balanced thoughout the range, outstanding value for money. vs is good but heavy and looses 100 watts power. I guess if people starting going on at ashdown they will make some more lb's. They do listen! This could be clever marketing, their UK made stuff is lush. I would have paid £100-200 more for my LB it is a great cab.

[quote name='dan670844' timestamp='1334939840' post='1623850']
LB212 is a great cab powerful, light, tight deep lows, made in uk, exquistly made (well mine is) very well balanced thoughout the range, outstanding value for money. vs is good but heavy and looses 100 watts power. I guess if people starting going on at ashdown they will make some more lb's. They do listen! This could be clever marketing, their UK made stuff is lush. I would have paid £100-200 more for my LB it is a great cab.
[/quote]

With them opening up their "custom shop" they'll make you anything you want these days :)

i saw the mibass cabs on the site the other day but not for sale anywhere yet. Thats why i went for the LB 212 I need my new set up as i have gigs lined up.
Pity as i would have liked the modular aspect of 2 112 cabs.

Still I think i would use both cabs most of the time due to the drummer and guitars so will (hopefully!) be happy with the LB if its as good as Ive been told.

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1334939940' post='1623851']

With them opening up their "custom shop" they'll make you anything you want these days :)
[/quote]

Good on em! I know they are making me something just at the moment, hope they finish it soon, big amp less at the moment!

[quote name='thebuckets' timestamp='1334958466' post='1624191']
i saw the mibass cabs on the site the other day but not for sale anywhere yet. Thats why i went for the LB 212 I need my new set up as i have gigs lined up.
Pity as i would have liked the modular aspect of 2 112 cabs.

Still I think i would use both cabs most of the time due to the drummer and guitars so will (hopefully!) be happy with the LB if its as good as Ive been told.
[/quote]

So, is it here yet?... :)

Eude

I'm not sure about the VS cabs weighing more than the LB's. I emailed Ashdown a while back when they came out and they told me they were identical except the VS212 is a 4ohm cab and the LB212 is 8ohm. I also think they were lying about the weight of the LB cabs, somebody was selling an LB112 on here recently because it turned out to be 15kg instead of the advertised 9kg! Not sure what's going on really.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1335173510' post='1626533']
I'm not sure about the VS cabs weighing more than the LB's. I emailed Ashdown a while back when they came out and they told me they were identical except the VS212 is a 4ohm cab and the LB212 is 8ohm. I also think they were lying about the weight of the LB cabs, somebody was selling an LB112 on here recently because it turned out to be 15kg instead of the advertised 9kg! Not sure what's going on really.
[/quote]

Really? I heard the LB cabs had Neo drivers and the VS ceramic ones, oh and the LB ones were handmade in the UK, hence the price difference.
(I see you're a knight of Croydonia, I'm moving to Sanderstead in a couple of weeks!)

Eude

My LB 212 is defo feels around 15kg which is astounding considering its output,( I am actually going to weigh it on some scales, will get back to you with the definitive) I am not saying the VS are heavy either, when you compare them with similar offerings in the market. Both the VS and the LB are great cabs, they really sound fantastic and because of the shape of them they are easy to move through doors etc and have great on stage dispersion. But who is going to be the first to run two VS212 ? ha ha that would be silly loud!

[quote name='dan670844' timestamp='1335184736' post='1626804']
My LB 212 is defo feels around 15kg which is astounding considering its output,( I am actually going to weigh it on some scales, will get back to you with the definitive) I am not saying the VS are heavy either, when you compare them with similar offerings in the market. Both the VS and the LB are great cabs, they really sound fantastic and because of the shape of them they are easy to move through doors etc and have great on stage dispersion. But who is going to be the first to run two VS212 ? ha ha that would be silly loud!
[/quote]

Well at 31kg, I reckon the VS-212 is no lightweight, but it's a big capable cab by all accounts and it's very cheap, so you can't have everything :)
I agree, 2 of them would be a very powerful setup, but I imagine best reserved for someone who needs some serious on stage volume!...

Eude

I've got my LB212 and was surprised that it weighed 24kg! I had a look inside and its got celestion 12 200x Speakers in. Thinking id been sold a lemon I rang ashdown and spoke to Dave who designed the LB I sent him some photos and he assured me its how it should be? He said they used emminence in these cabs as well depending on what they had and that he would expect it to be heavier as it was heavy gauge birch ply. he told me I as lucky to get one of the few remaining British cabs There is a label inside saying who covered the cab and he said that it was made just up the road by the people who make orange cab. So its heavier than expected but seems top quality. Ill see how it sounds when my mibass head arrives today if its not for me ill just move it on but hopefully its a good un
Bri

[quote name='thebuckets' timestamp='1335259890' post='1627981']
I've got my LB212 and was surprised that it weighed 24kg! I had a look inside and its got celestion 12 200x Speakers in. Thinking id been sold a lemon I rang ashdown and spoke to Dave who designed the LB I sent him some photos and he assured me its how it should be? He said they used emminence in these cabs as well depending on what they had and that he would expect it to be heavier as it was heavy gauge birch ply. he told me I as lucky to get one of the few remaining British cabs There is a label inside saying who covered the cab and he said that it was made just up the road by the people who make orange cab. So its heavier than expected but seems top quality. Ill see how it sounds when my mibass head arrives today if its not for me ill just move it on but hopefully its a good un
Bri
[/quote]

Wow, that's a bit heavier than expected!
I guess if you can live with the added weight, it'll have added oomph!

Be interesting to hear how heavy other folks' LB cabs are?...

Hope you MiBass arrives safe and sound and you manage to give the whole setup a damn good go tonight :)

Eude

Nice work mate!
Any chance you indulge me a couple of requests?

Firstly, I'm interested in the volume difference between these two, as I'm sure you are to.

Secondly, any chance you could compare the core tone (or flat tone) of these amps, and if they differ, how easy it is to mimic the tone of the LM250 with MiBass?

Much appreciated mate and have fun!
Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1335563892' post='1633336']
Nice work mate!
Any chance you indulge me a couple of requests?

Firstly, I'm interested in the volume difference between these two, as I'm sure you are to.

Secondly, any chance you could compare the core tone (or flat tone) of these amps, and if they differ, how easy it is to mimic the tone of the LM250 with MiBass?

Much appreciated mate and have fun!
Eude
[/quote]
Ill do my best! just remember that its gonna be a bit subjective though.
Im not expecting the Lm to be too far behind in volume as im using a 4 ohm cab. so far they both sound pretty good nice and warm but untill you get it alongside some guitars and drums and crank it up its hard to get the full potential.

The LM250 seems a bit more rugged and less likely to be damaged. the sliders on the mibass look like they could get damaged easily. I also like to keep things simple and although the mibass has more ability to tweak the sound i can see me getting a tone i like and sticking with it

[quote name='thebuckets' timestamp='1335565726' post='1633349']
Ill do my best! just remember that its gonna be a bit subjective though.
Im not expecting the Lm to be too far behind in volume as im using a 4 ohm cab. so far they both sound pretty good nice and warm but untill you get it alongside some guitars and drums and crank it up its hard to get the full potential.

The LM250 seems a bit more rugged and less likely to be damaged. the sliders on the mibass look like they could get damaged easily. I also like to keep things simple and although the mibass has more ability to tweak the sound i can see me getting a tone i like and sticking with it
[/quote]

Thanks man, I really appreciate it.
I loved the flat tone of my LM250 when I had it, and ideally I would go for a LMIII, but it's a pricey beast. If the MiBass 550 can make the same noise at 550W for less cash, I reckon I'll go for that ;)

Eude

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1335626362' post='1633924']
I would have thought they would design the cab to match the speakers, not just throw in Eminence or Celestion depending on whatever they had left lying around?!
[/quote]
good point but then many many cabs are fitted with celestion and emminence. They're good industry standard work horses and perform well so perhaps thats what they did? I dont get the impression theyve just been chucked together.