Why become a member? ×

How much should we be paid for playing parties?

The Dark Lord

Very interesting debate guys!
im happy to discuss our "going" rate. As your fairly typical 3 piece rock covers band down in the South West (Devon)
we try to get a minimum of £60 each (£180) for pubs, although we are willing to drop to £50 each if the landlord/lady umms and ahhs (plus we offer that rate for first time gigs in the hope of further work). Christmas/bank holidays/carnivals etc, it creeps up to hopefully £80 each. Its really tough out there at the moment and we have played to a lot of poorly attended pubs this year and know the landlord must be loosing money. I dont want to see the number of venues offering live music ever diminishing, you have to cut your cloth accordingly.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1334859041' post='1622557']
That is just poor, poor, poor... !!!!!!!!! The whole point of a pick-up band is that you shouldn't know it is a pick-up band even if you are meeting guys first off on the gig.
If they are regulars then that is even more scandulous
[/quote]

I agree that professional deps should be as good as the regular guys. Rubbish music by regular player of deps isn't good enough.

Think of what fee you would like to receive, and then negotiate down if necessary. You can't really ask for more money at a later date.

Personally I'm of the opinion that a gig is a gig. I'd rather be playing and end up £20 or £30 better off than stay home and earn nothing. It's not just my hobby though, so I can't really afford to discriminate.

I just read the post about the band of deps and the £1800 fee.

I dep quite regularly, I ask for £200 plus expenses, but I'm open to negotiate on that, see my previous post above. I've done loads, so I have charts for pretty much every function set.

I wouldn't dream of not giving 100% to any gig.

I'm in a three piece acoustic band that gigs regularly and we get anywhere from £90 for a 1 hour Sunday night gig to £500 for a wedding. We'll do a local pub gig for no less than £150 and if we have to travel it's no less than £200.Our average pub gig is £200 although some pubs pay £250. It is a tricky thing to get right because if you charge too much you won't get gigs and if you charge too little you're underselling yourself and upsetting other gigging musicians.