Why become a member? ×

Seriously considering changing out my bass head...

StevieD_FenderP2009

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' timestamp='1334598498' post='1618321']
I'm pretty much sold on the GK 700 rb now. I don't want to sell my Trace Elliot as I do love it but it's not what I want right now so yeah, she shall be shipped off.
What is the effects loop on the GK's like? Is it switchable as well? Also, I can't remember if I read that the pre amp is valve driven on it or not
[/quote]

The 700RB-II has no footswitch, it's one of the downsides (though not one that ever bothered me since I don't use FX). It's easily sorted with a loop pedal in the FX loop though. All the GK stuff apart from the Fusion 550 and MB Fusion are full solid state. The Fusion amps have a valve pre and SS power sections. After reading some stuff written by Bob Gallien himself, the only reason they use solidstate instead of valve stuff is because they want to. They made an amp that made the noise they like and they stuck with it rather than making loads of different amps and moving away from that tone. That's why the Fusion 550 still uses the same poweramp as the RB series, because that's an inherant part of the GK tone (along with GK's 4 band EQ).

Even the MB series (including the MB Fusion), while they sound different to the RB series, they still have that GK signature growl.

Actually, have you looked at the MB series Stevie? You can get rack ears for them (they're all 1u) and they fulfill all your other requirements. The MB500 and Fusion also have two channels with a footswitch so you can use one channel as distortion/boost/whatever if you fancy (the 700RB-II and 1001RB-II both are only single channel).

They're not as deep and rumbly as the RBs but they can still do deep with ease, the two channels are both just a gain and volume control (the other controls are the same on both channels) so you can dial in as much or little grit as you need.

I really need to make a demo video of my amps, there's lots of people that ask about them (and GKs in general) and it's a pain to find decent videos because they're not that common. <_<

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1334607187' post='1618548']
I really need to make a demo video of my amps, there's lots of people that ask about them (and GKs in general) and it's a pain to find decent videos because they're not that common. <_<
[/quote]

Very true, especially the "growl" control. When looking, a while back, I could find nothing at all showing what the growl control does. had to buy a GK to find out !

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1334609623' post='1618608']
Very true, especially the "growl" control. When looking, a while back, I could find nothing at all showing what the growl control does. had to buy a GK to find out !
[/quote]

Growl control? You mean boost? :P The controls are a little daunting on the RB series but once you get used to them (or get them explained) they're easy as pie.

Hartke vxl :) sworn by it for grit for years. Needs a compressor after it to even out the volume jump. But used correctly just sounds proper Grindy. :)
I used one on this track. I don't normally go for that 'neck pickup' tone, but it kinda worked on this track, and I dirtied it up with the Hartke.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnThxCeCJfg&sns=em

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1334610175' post='1618623']
Growl control? You mean boost? :P The controls are a little daunting on the RB series but once you get used to them (or get them explained) they're easy as pie.
[/quote]

Yes, exactly. I do mean the "boost" control. Got confused, as everyone seems to describe what it does as the GK "growl".

Hey Gafbass, I've tried a Hartke VXL before but I didn't like it unfortunately. In fact, i have to use one in a 4x10 combo for most practises as it's what is supplied there and i can never get a tone I like from it.

*edit* I thought the VXL was the VX series bass combos. I've just seen that the VXL is a pedal. Thanks for the recommendation though man.

To the other guys, I haven't tried the Fusion yet but to be honest, I don't think I will. I'm just going to stick with trying out the Gallien 700RB-2. Sounds exactly like what I need to be honest. Well, everything apart from the effects loop. I wish it was switchable =/ Suppose that's fixable with a line selector pedal or something.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1334606287' post='1618516']
Definitely. My GK MB500 sounds very GK-like. My GK MB Fusion, because of the valves in the pre-amp, a bit less so, as it`s a fair bit less clinical, but you can still hear that GK sound throughout.
[/quote]

Slightly OT but how do you find the MB Fusion vs the 500? Personally I found the 500 too harsh but love the full fat tones from the Fusion whilst it keeps the upper mids for some bite but not in the same brittle way.

I find the MB Fusion to be a cross between the MB500, and my old Ampeg PF500. It has the extra warmth of the Ampeg, but still retains that "clinical" aspect to the tone that GK is known for. I found it has more "thickness" to the lows and low-mids, and these can need taming a bit, but just backing off of them a bit leaves GK sound in abundance.