Why become a member? ×

Wizard Trad pups

I recently bought these from another basschat member for my precision bass project

After installing them I've found the output to be far too low for my needs - to the point that I think they would be far more suited to

Arrrghh! - due to a less than good wireless connection i ended up posting this twice yesterday and no it seems I delete the complete posting and left a cut off version

Right, to continue:

----
...would be far more suited to an active circuit, I've found that my adding a pre-amp (behringer mic200) between my bass and amp bring the output back into the realms of normality

I've been in touch with Andy at Wizard over the weekend and he's happy to take a look at them, seem in the worst case a rewind would cost £35

So am looking to swap my Trads (and some dosh?) for something much hotter and preferably darker
----

So yeah, am very interested in your SD quarter pounder (it's a regular split p single pickup) but there is an issue with these Trads having an output that's far too low which you need to be aware of - that said I did have an idea today so might be able to cure the issue - will update this thread as soon as I've have chance to retest them

[quote name='colda' post='177559' date='Apr 16 2008, 06:39 AM']Nope - output is still low, magnets seem fine, windings seem perfect - dunno, maybe I'm missing something obvious :)[/quote]

I assume you've tried bypassing your vol/tone pots? I can't believe a Wizard PUP would have any issues.
My Fender PUPs, especiially the 70's ones, have a far lower output than my SBP-3, so it might be that the PUP in question is designed to replicate an older model?
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='177563' date='Apr 16 2008, 07:15 AM']I assume you've tried bypassing your vol/tone pots? I can't believe a Wizard PUP would have any issues.
My Fender PUPs, especiially the 70's ones, have a far lower output than my SBP-3, so it might be that the PUP in question is designed to replicate an older model?
Chris[/quote]

yep tried that - put some cheap nasties in and the output doubles :)

[quote name='colda' post='177577' date='Apr 16 2008, 08:16 AM']yep tried that - put some cheap nasties in and the output doubles :)[/quote]

In that case I won't do a swap, but I'll probably end up selling the quarter pounder on here at some stage.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='177583' date='Apr 16 2008, 08:20 AM']In that case I won't do a swap, but I'll probably end up selling the quarter pounder on here at some stage.[/quote]

no worries - PM me with a price when you want to sell :)

will almost certainly be sending these back to Andy at Wizard