Why become a member? ×

Help with my Hartke transporter 4 x 10 cab, (i think its knackered)

police squad

Ok fellow bass chatters, here's the rub.

I've recently changed my bass gear to ampeg PF500 and markbass cabs because after 10 years of Hartke and recently playing with a friends band with a keyboard player, my sound just seemed awful.
I use an old P bass with a HA3500 head into a USA made TP410. The cab has been really well looked after but for the past 3 years has lived in the van.
Now I read somewhere on this site, that the ally coned speakers don't like the temperature change and it affects them.
I get sound from all 4 speakers but 3 of them sound compressed.
I want to sell the cab as I now have new gear, I'm not bothered about getting top dollar, just want to get shot of it .

How can I tell if the drivers are shot, (physically as opposed to audibly)

your thoughts please folks
thanks
Sting (in my tribute band anyway)

Compressed isn't a clear description, Do you mean quiet or that the sound is lacking in other areas?

In the end though it won't really matter. Contact Hartke and find out what replacement drivers would cost. Then you have to decide whether to replace the speakers yourself or take the hit price wise and let someone else replace them. So long as you don't advertise the cab as perfect I'm sure someone will take it on at the right price.

Don't be tempted to replace the speakers with non Hartke models this will cost you a lot but not add value to the cab.

I'd warm it up inside a house and then see if I could free up all the connections on the speakers.. and make sure nothing is coroded.
Or...just advertise it as such and let the buyer do that work and maybe snag a bargian if it is something simple and quick to fix.