Why become a member? ×

Bid to try

Guest MoJo

I've just experienced something that I've never experienced before. After getting little interest on the For Sale forum, I put my 2007 Trace Elliot 1215 on eBay. The bidding went as well as could be expected in the current climate and although a lot less than what I paid for it, I was happy with the final winning bid. The buyer contacted me almost immediately.

He called round to collect it this morning but after playing through it, decided that this Peavey-built 1x15" combo wasn't different enough from his Laney 1x15" combo to warrant spending the money. I tried to justify the price difference in terms of features and build quailty but it was apparent from the way that he was pushing the 30Hz slider on the graphic and the bottom-heavy EQ on his Steinberger cricket-bat that this guy was after something a 1x15" combo can't deliver. I think he'd be better served with a Barefaced Super Fifteen or Dubster.

He kindly gave me £20 to relist the combo and left.

I've never had this happen to me before. I'd assume that anyone bidding on an item would have some idea of the capabilities of that item and not bid on what he or she imagines it's capable of :huh:

If you bid on an item on eBay and win, you are committed to buying it, regardless. I think you were more than reasonable under the circumstances. A winning bid is a contract to buy the item, not an invitation to come round, do a bit of tyre-kicking and [i]then [/i]make a decision. Out of order, IMHO.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='bassman2790' timestamp='1333882212' post='1607652']
That's what I thought .... :(
[/quote]

Probably not worth pursuing it with eBay, really. I would treat him as a deadbeat bidder and act accordingly myself, but you may just want to put this one down to experience and relist it. When I sell stuff cash on collection I ask for the cash up front before the buyer even sees the item. I've had no problems doing this, my buyers seem to know what the score is. I think you were a bit unlucky. At least he covered your fees, so no harm done. No-one died. :)

You could also make a 'Second Chance Offer' to the next highest bidder, depending on whether you think it acceptable.
This would save time and money on relisting:

[url="http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Second-chance-offers-explained?ugid=10000000000117704"]http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/Second-chance-offers-explained?ugid=10000000000117704[/url]

I think you can get the transaction cancelled, and your eBay fees refunded. So you're £20 in pocket on it.
He is odd though, I've got to say, paying you for trying it. Why not do that beforehand ?
Just offer a second chance thing to the runner up, hopefully you'll still be up with the £20 he gave you.

I've put a request in to cancel the transaction. Hopefully I should get my listing and final value fees back.

It's back on eBay now. Finger's crossed

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1333882449' post='1607657']
On the plus side though, he at least had the decency to give you the dosh for the re listing but that doesn't make it right.
[/quote]

Whilst appreciating it [i]is [/i]a contract to buy, we all know there's wriggle room all over the place on this one. There shouldn't be; but there is. [i]C'est la vie[/i].

So, on the bright side, you got £20 out of it - which is more than the average timewaster kicks out - and on to the next bidder.