Why become a member? ×

FS/FT: Zoot Custom Fretless 4 - NOW SOLD

Bass Culture

[u][b]For sale: lovely Zoot Fretless Custom - NOW SOLD[/b][/u]

I bought this a few months ago from here on Basschat. It's a really beautiful bass which I just can't justify keeping hold of as I'm currently band-less and already own a Les Evans custom fretless. This is Chris's description from when he had it for sale, which I hope he doesn't mind me purloining - but there's nothing I can really add or say any better!:

[b]Neck Iceni carbon Graphite bolt on neck + ebony fingerboard.
Nut Bell Brass
Nut Width 38mm(Frender Jazz spacing)
Fingerboard Flat finished, best quality african ebony, 1/4 lines to edge + side dots, unvarnished on playing surface, varnished to back and sides.
Machine heads Black Schaller chrome m4's
Body 1 piece sapele mahogony with bookmatch best grade flame maple top finished in high gloss aqua burst fading to black with solid black hi gloss to back
Bridge ABM in black chrome with Shadow piezo's fitted to saddles
Control Knobs Schaller black chrome knurled with centre dents
Pick up Bartolini MM4C
Switch 3 way-piezo only/piezo and bartolini/bartolini only
Controls Bartolii TCT module bass/mid/treble (all centre dent for flat) and volume
Strap buttons Schaller locking in black chrome
Battery 6v from compartment in back
Hard Case

You'll notice that it has a carbon fibre neck with an ebony fretboard, which gives the stability and even tone of carbon fibre but with the woodiness of the ebony fretboard coming though. The Bartolini electronics are superb, and the Piezo mixed with the magnetic pickup is a very cool sound. The bass in is very good condition, [i]the only thing of note is the varish has lifted slightly on the edge of the neck where it meets the ebony fretboard. I suppose the wood has expanded mildly over the last few years. It's a purely cosmetic issue, and if you're inclined quite easy to refinish yourself.[/i][/b]

With reference to this last point, [u]I have now had the work done[/u] (by Mike Walsh, Mr Zoot himself), and am offering the bass at the price I bought it, but with this issue of the cracked lacquer now repaired. The eagle-eyed amongst you will notice I have also fit a Hipshot 4 string retainer. Just personal preference - the Gotoh 'bar type' always looked a bit cheap to me and the Hipshot one is less faffy as you can just feed your string into the slots from the top. In terms of playability and sound I really can't add anything to what Chris said originally. The quarter lines make it easy it get around and intonate accurately, even for someone like myself, who usually prefers full fretlines (I know, I know - sacrilege!)

One thing I would mention is that I've added a shim under the neck to bring the action down a bit. This thing now plays like butter but there is a very minor 'blister' in the finish where the lacquer has lifted slightly at the edge of the neck pocket. It's not that noticeable but it is there and I wouldn't want to not mention it. Can't be seen from head on. You'll also see a slight knock on the rear of the top horn. Again, pretty minor. It does come with some paperwork between Mike and the original owner, which dates it from July 1998, and includes a hand-written note from Mike explaining the controls.

I'm happy to post anywhere in the U.K. for £10 only.

Trade-wise: hmm, don't know really, maybe something Warwicky/Laklandy/Sterlingy - 4 strings and fretted please

Thanks for looking, enjoy the snaps:

Any trial welcome, and I can probably even work out a short term (couple of months maybe?) payment plan, as Chris was kind enough to do for me too, for anyone with a current cash flow issue!

Thanks all,

Mark

N.B. edited for typos.

Edited by Bass Culture

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1333913941' post='1608225']
Used to own this bass, a very cool instrument. The Bartolini pickup gives it a bit of a fretless Stingray vibe. Fantastically well made too.
[/quote]

What Chris said!

[quote name='Zekragash' timestamp='1334218017' post='1612566']
Any piece of sound ?
[/quote]

Sorry, no. I could try and get some up but it will be a couple of weeks, if I'm honest, as my current theatre-related extra curricular activities mean I won't have any free time before the end of the month...Sounds truly lovely though - plenty of 'mwaahh' with punch and warmth too. Mmmm, hubba hubba. :)

[quote name='Bass Culture' timestamp='1334403820' post='1615708']
Go for it, deanbean! Are you a man or a mouse? :D
[/quote]

On a slightly less frivilous note, we're heading down to the Cotswolds in a couple of weeks time so I could probably even arrange to meet up to drop it off for you too, if you did decide to go for it. How's that for service?!

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1335520318' post='1632442']
right... what would you compare this sound to?? kinda stingray??

PM me details dude :)

cheers
[/quote]

Very tight and punchy, I'd say, with a - to my ear - nice mid-range emphasis which gives it some nice 'mwhaah'. Certainly Stingray fans wouldn't be disappointed and the graphite neck lends it a very defined sound too. Defined without being clinical sounding, I guess due to the ebony fingerboard, which I think would mean it would sit nicely in the mix - though I've not gigged with it myself, I should point out. Hope that helps!

If you have anything you'd like me to drop you a PM about, please just say.

Cheers,

Mark