Why become a member? ×

Iron Ether Xerograph - anyone in the UK got one?

pantherairsoft

I'm sure there are a few floating around.

I have been discussing a custom version to try and achieve a few different things compared to my beloved Moog Low Pass Filter - before going ahead though I would love to check the tone of the resonant swells out with my set up and effects without having to buy a basic model and pay shipping both ways from the USA.

If anyone has one that I could borrow for 24 hours to try it with my stuff I would really appreciate it. Obviously happy to pay for postage etc...

Let me know

Shep

Yeah - I'm trying to achieve a few things at the mo and the fact that Taylor can do a huge range of custom modifications makes one a potential replacement for my Moog LPF...

Tonally it's clear they are very different different to the Moog though and I really need to hear it with my set up - you just can't get a grasp of that sub tone from a video.

I can't really tell how the ly differ in sound - which is the reason I want to try one myself. LPF's are largely dependant on what you put through them and so I'm reluctant to trust YouTube vids. From the vids I've seen I'd say the IE one sounds thinner and the resonance is a little wetter - though I've heard the opposite from users. I think it's largely dependant on the rest of your setup so I want to be sure before I make the move. At the moment the Moog LPF is a massive part of 'my' sound...

Lol - thanks mate. It's going to be hard to test as the regular one isn't CV compatible - where as the one I would have built will be done to exploit some parts of th MP-201 but I'm hoping I can get a good idea of the tone.

Si - BTW, thanks for coming to our gig last week. Was cool to see ya'

Bit late to the party, but I've got one too, a Deluxe with the envelope follower.

I think it has a very Moogy quality, but will be interested to see how it compares to your Moogerfooger. When the resonance kicks in, it can get quite thick and dirty sounding.

On the whole I like it. It's very flexible, which also means that it can take a bit of fiddling to get a particular sound. I wish there was a bit more control over the envelope - the fast/slow switch is a bit limiting.

To be honest, I think I would always need another, more straightforward envelope filter on my pedal board, something like a 3 Leaf Proton for funky stuff, to partner with the Xerograph for synthy lines. Bit extravagant having both though!

[quote name='phagor' timestamp='1334075366' post='1610561']
To be honest, I think I would always need another, more straightforward envelope filter on my pedal board, something like a 3 Leaf Proton for funky stuff, to partner with the Xerograph for synthy lines. Bit extravagant having both though!
[/quote]

That's what I've got at the moment, it's great!

[quote name='EskimoBassist' timestamp='1334264645' post='1613633']
That's what I've got at the moment, it's great!
[/quote]

Totally. I use an LPF as a static/sweepable filter... I will always have an envelope filter as well (I have two at the mo).

With regards to my tests... The moog and the Xero are TOTALLY differently voiced. The Moog warmer and grittier, the xero far more hi-fi. The resonance voices are different too. The Moog has serious character, and the xero more extreme.

I think i prefer the plug in and play tone of the Moog, but the xero is cool and will fulfil my needs providing the custom tweaks and CV enabling can be done (bear in mind the stock units do not accept CV). I'm discussing a custom unit with Taylor @ IE so watch this space.