Why become a member? ×

Chaka Khan Transcription anyone?

Gareth Hughes

Hi Folks,

Does anybody have the Chaka Khan 'Move Me No Mountain' chart that appeared in Bass Player magazine, I think it was the August 2006 issue?

I'm not trying to stiff BP, I have about 70 issues going back 14 years, but I managed to miss this one.

If anyone has it can they scan it and email me a copy? Would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gareth

Hi Gareth,

I'm pretty sure I've got a transcription of it somewhere, it's taken from the Bassplayer issue but is only in notation, no tab. PM me your email and i'll scan it and send it over. Anything to spread the gospel of Anthony Jackson...

cheers,

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Funny you guys should mention it, Ive just had to learn "Aint Nobody" for my band, ill see if I can transcribe it for you - its pretty easy though, its in E Minor I believe its as follows:

VERSE:

Em7 D7 Em7 D7
Captured effortlessly, that’s the way it was
C Bm7 C D7
Happened so naturally, I did not know it was love

Em7 D7 Em7 D7
The next thing I felt was you, holding me close
CΔ Bm7 CΔ D7
What was I gonna do? I let myself go
B7 CΔ
And now we're flyin' through the stars
D7 Em7
I hope this night will last forever

CHORUS:

Em7 D7 Am7 C7
Ain't nobody, Loves me better
Em7 D7 Am7 C7 D7
Makes me happy, Makes me feel this way
Em7 D7 Am7 C7 D7 Em7
Ain't nobody, loves me better than you

Bridge:

Em7 ^D6 |Am7 –C7 |

Thanks Luke,

P

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='191943' date='May 4 2008, 11:50 PM']Funny you guys should mention it, Ive just had to learn "Aint Nobody" for my band, ill see if I can transcribe it for you - its pretty easy though, its in E Minor I believe its as follows:

VERSE:

Em7 D7 Em7 D7
Captured effortlessly, that’s the way it was
C Bm7 C D7
Happened so naturally, I did not know it was love

Em7 D7 Em7 D7
The next thing I felt was you, holding me close
CΔ Bm7 CΔ D7
What was I gonna do? I let myself go
B7 CΔ
And now we're flyin' through the stars
D7 Em7
I hope this night will last forever

CHORUS:

Em7 D7 Am7 C7
Ain't nobody, Loves me better
Em7 D7 Am7 C7 D7
Makes me happy, Makes me feel this way
Em7 D7 Am7 C7 D7 Em7
Ain't nobody, loves me better than you

Bridge:

Em7 ^D6 |Am7 –C7 |[/quote]

Ain't nobody's a classic- but it's not Anthony Jackson on bass, its Greg Phillinganes on synth... sorry for being such a geek!

I'm currently working on a bunch of Chaka Khan transcriptions from the 'Naughty' album, i'll post 'em up as and when they're done.

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='191943' date='May 4 2008, 11:50 PM']Funny you guys should mention it, Ive just had to learn "Aint Nobody" for my band, ill see if I can transcribe it for you - its pretty easy though, its in E Minor I believe its as follows:[/quote]
It's in Eb minor. Most charts in magazines and music colleges transpose it up to E minor so it can be played on a 4-string bass (although there is a low Db and D which, in E minor would become low D and Eb, so it can only really be played on a 5-string+). I wouldn't say the part is simple though - the structure is straightforward but making the transition between the octaves and position shifting from Eb to Cb (or E to C) as smooth as the synth bassline on the original is not trivial. When I was in music college years ago it gave even more advanced players a bit of a headache (not to mention the poor drummers trying to emulate a drum machine!). The tempo is about 108 too so it's just quick enough to provide a bit of a challenge :)

[quote name='TKenrick' post='181856' date='Apr 21 2008, 02:27 PM']Here are some jpegs of the transcription for those who want it, I've used it before and it seems to be accurate...[/quote]
Don't want to split hairs but the quarter notes in bars 5,6,8,10,12,13 etc are all quite short and should be marked staccato. There are also many other examples of notes that are written too long. One of the best aspects of Anthony Jackson's part on this tune is his control over note lengths. He varies between a lot of staccato notes on beat 1 of the bar (especially if it is a quarter note) with occasional held legato notes. It what breathes life into the song (something which machines could never do)
Bar 14 beat 2 is clearly a low D, not Eb...
Bar 37 is in no way in 6/4 - this would indicate a change in beat division from 2 to 3. The underlying pulse or beat does not change throughout the song. It is a bar of 4/4 plus a bar of 2/4.

Otherwise the chart is good - fills look right, especially that killer one at bar 87 (although the eighth and sixteenth notes at beat one should be beamed together.

[quote name='Stickman' post='197596' date='May 12 2008, 11:03 PM']Try here: [url="http://stefanredtenbacher.com/transcriptions/pdf/ChakaKhan-AintNobody.pdf"]http://stefanredtenbacher.com/transcriptio...-AintNobody.pdf[/url][/quote]

Thanks - I've been struggling with this one. I find it difficult trying to emulate the keyboard bass part - are there any good versions with bass guitar parts (say on Youtube) that people can recommend?