Why become a member? ×

Hello from Lancashire!

Fitz

Hi folks
I'm Ian, new on here, and just bought an amp off Tredders. Started and mostly have been a classical double bass player since about 10yr old - so over 30 years! Played jazz, rock and punk - allsorts, and guitar too. Stopped playing altogether really, then dragged my Les Paul out from under the spare bed - and now playing lead in a rock/pop/funk covers band. More recently dragged my '82 JV Squier Jazz from down the cellar, to take that to a couple of jam nites - enjoying that again too!

Need to work out 'what's what' in the bass world, as the world seems to have moved on a bit!

Still got my 1880's German Double Bass - violin shape, large orchestral
Japanese JV Squier Jazz some mods '82
Phil Jones Suitcase and 4B cab
Les Paul Custom '73
Les Paul Custom '74
Flying V 50's reissue 'bout '96
Strat Big Apple 'bout 96 I think
Marshall '73 Lead Bass 20 Head + modern 2061CX 2x12 slant
Blues Junior Texas Red
Pedals and stuff

That's about me - once knew what I was doing, started again, realised the world's moved on!

Hello!
Ian

Hello and welcome back Ian. You've certainly come to the right place to catch up, the knowledge, experience and sharing on here is incredible.
One warning, beware the GAS :lol: .
Believe me, you will come to fear it.
Enjoy bud,
Karl.

Hello Karl
thanks for the hello, and you appear quite local - must look out if you're playing close to here (Burnley/Blackburn/Clitheroe area). Seems odd now to have dropped music altogether, but I guess that's what happens sometimes! Finding it more enjoyable than ever, even (especially!) a couple of local friendly jams.

All the best
Ian

Hi Fitz its Ash here - welcome to the forum sir, yep its far better on here than Facebook! Glad to see you are back playing and if you ever want to flog or swap me back that old Jazz Bass I have a nice Fender Precision with your name on it mate!!!!!

Hello Ash!!
You've guessed it's the same bass!! Good as ever...do you still have the bridge pickup?!? 8p
Still has the panel pin as an 'E string guide', someone suggested a new nut wouldn't be dear, but I think the nail adds character!
Not sure I could get rid of it...well never did even when it's not been played for donkey's years....P-bass is probably obligatory now though too, eh?

Great to hear from you!
Fitz

Oh Fitz that's the only bass I ever really missed and I'd trade any of my basses for it! Don't have the old pickups they got left behind in the divorce!
I remember the panel pin too ha! Great bodge that! Would love to see a pic pm ffor my email. Seriously would buy it / swap back like a shot.
Good to see you on here and thanks for those old HW&Co tapes.
Ash

Hello Paul - already seems a good place on here!

Ash - shame on the pup, what is the bridge one you put in? Writing worn off, and memory poor. Will try and take a few pics and upload/email/whatever one does these days! It is a peach to play, and amusingly has been looked at with mild distain by some folks due to the 'Squier' logo!...same knackered old case with extra green fur probably doesn't help! - but how wrong can they be?...

Ha! The old green lined case - I remember buying the extra fur from Burnley Market....when it had still got some stalls....the pickup was a Schaller. I got it fitted as it had more bite than the original, if I remember it had larger pole pieces. They weren't very expensive but they had a more modern edge, I souped up the bass as I couldn't afford to buy anything else. This was the late 80s to early 90s and the Squier's weren't as regarded then. Everyone in Burnley had a Status or JD at the time it seemed! I remember getting it tarted up with the Badass, Grovers and gold plate. Does it have the tortie scratchplate or the cream one? The tortie one was the original. I have quite a few pics of me playing it and it was on all those recordings and LPs. I had another JV Jazz in sunburst but sold it on, I still have a fretless JV Precision with EMGs which is a fine bass. My main two basses for gigs are my Fender Road worn Jazz and my 70s P bass. For recording its the old Fender Tele Bass or The Gibson Grabber - odd choices but they sit really well in a mix. My other bass is a daft old bright green Rickenbacker I rescued from a Cumbrian ex-punk which grunts and growls as it ought to.