Why become a member? ×

Dependable current production EL34 valves?

Beer of the Bass

I've got a late 60's Carlsbro CS100/8 PA head which I use for bass; it's a 100 watter using EL34s. I've been running Electro Harmonix 6CA7 valves as they were on special offer at the time I got the amp. I don't run the amp particularly hard, as the power stage stays clean, and I've always set the bias fairly conservatively. Everything in the amp is healthy, it's been re-capped and thoroughly checked over.
I've just had a valve develop noise issues, for the second time in only about 12 gigs - the first one developed random crackling and sizzling noises and got replaced, now one has started producing microphonic jangle through the speakers. I have a spare to replace the offending valve, but the next time I re-valve, what's out there that might be more reliable? NOS are out of my price range, so I'm wondering which currently-made valves have been more reliable for people.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1333372507' post='1600680']
Shuguang.

What plate voltage is the amp running?
[/quote]
Shuguang are one I hadn't thought of trying, but I guess if they withstand Doom they'll be fine for my usage.
The plate voltage is at 500v, so it's on the high side but not outrageous. Space is a bit tight with the fat bottle 6CA7s, so possibly they're getting hotter than is ideal - though they've never red-plated.

500V should be ok. Remove power tubes, clean contacts, inspect closely, may be worth changing any suspicious valve bases. I have found JJ tubes pretty good. Then again my Sound City and Marshall still have original (as far as I know) Mullards in and are still good to go :).