Why become a member? ×

Help needed writing out a rhythm

lobematt

Hey there I'm working out 'Wave Hello, Say Goodbye' by David Gray for a student. I've got the chords sorted and I can play it but I'm struggling to write the strumming pattern accurately. (for the purpose I've this I'm gonna use 4 as quarter note and 8 as 8th note!!) At the min I've got it going

4 8 8 8 8 4 | 4 4 8 8 8 8| repeated.... (hope that makes sense!)

I've entering it into Guitar pro and it's close as in the chords are coming in on the right beats but it's very rigid sounding. Any advice??

Thanks!

It'd look something like this:
[IMG]http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd471/paul_510/Rhythm.jpg[/IMG]

Playing music back particularly strumming patterns through software never sounds like it's played i real life. Notation is useful as a way to remind yourself of the main accents and pattern of a rhythm guitar part, but it's pretty limited in this respect unless you want to start notating the absolute tiniest detail - that sort of score would be very accurate but virtually unreadable to the vast majority of musicians.

You could try using a 'shuffle' groove preset (if your DAW has them) to add a bit more 'life' into it though.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1333374050' post='1600713']

Playing music back particularly strumming patterns through software never sounds like it's played i real life. Notation is useful as a way to remind yourself of the main accents and pattern of a rhythm guitar part, but it's pretty limited in this respect unless you want to start notating the absolute tiniest detail - that sort of score would be very accurate but virtually unreadable to the vast majority of musicians.

You could try using a 'shuffle' groove preset (if your DAW has them) to add a bit more 'life' into it though.
[/quote]

Yeah that's the way I've got it wrote out at the min, I've tried using the shuffle but that's not getting me any closer.

Jake, yeah just trying to get a part written out for one guitar.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1333374050' post='1600713']

[/quote]

Also... if it's been manually entered, then it's probably being played back with each note at the same level, whereas "in real life" they'd all be different, with big differences between the accented and unaccented notes, and then subtle "imperfections" between the notes that are "supposed" to be at the same level.

Hm, so many "quotation marks"... the bottom line is that the notation is a set of instructions and doesn't, as observed by Paul, exactly match real life. So I'd say just hand over the notation and forget what the computer makes it sound like.