Why become a member? ×

Wanted: quality DB * sorted *

Hi I'm selling my fantastic Alleva Coppolo KBP5 to help fund a quality 3/4 double bass (advert here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/172345-alleva-coppolo-kbp5-in-antiguamaple-p-retro-fitted-l2000%3B-or-px-against-quality-db/page__pid__1599506#entry1599506"]http://basschat.co.u...06#entry1599506[/url]) and would obviously do a p/x too. I'm thinking between £2,000 and £3,000.

I am after something that is good for pizz (I don't do arco) with big, warm sound and good projection (my Kolstein Travel Bass sounds beautiful but, being down-scaled, doesn't have the full projection of a 'normal' 3/4 DB). Can be a vintage ply (eg, old Kay/Framus) or a quality old hybrid or all-solid. Not fussed as long as it meets my sound objectives.

Likes/dislikes: Bumps and scrapes don't bother me as its par for the course with old DBs but neck breaks or split seams that require repair or a neck that needs re-shooting are out AFAIC! And not being awfully feedback-prone is also important!!!! If it came with adjustable bridge, decent piezo pickup (eg, Full Circle, Bassmax, Shadow 950) installed and accessories (gigbag etc), all the better. I really don't want something with 'man's action' either, it has to be easily playable (like I say, adjustable bridge preferred). My plan would be to install Silver Slaps strings for a rootsy, gut-alike sound.

Please note I am in West London and don't really have time to travel far due to long working hours and demanding family (!) so proximity could also be a factor here

Edited by Clarky

Thanks Jake. Keep 'em coming folks, preferably no more than £3k :)

Please note I will be out of the country for a week or so from tomorrow but will receive BC email notifications/messages on my Blackberry

Edited by Clarky

Good decision mate, my 'new' (100 year old) DB is the best instrument I've ever owned and has really got me back into playing. Don't let anyone tell you that because their £300 ply bass sounded better than a £20,000 instrument their mate used to own that it's not worth spending money on a decent DB, it most certainly is

C

I am hugely tempted by Emlyn's c1880 German bass but just wanted to check if there's anything else out there that fits my criteria ... And budget of no more than £3k!!!

Edited by Clarky

Dude, buy Emlyn's bass, however you do this it's going to be a leap of faith to an extent. You're welcome to come down here and play my GF (that's German Flatback not Girl Friend) any time. OK, it won't be the same for sure, but it might provide a comparison?

C

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1333655836' post='1605021']
Dude, buy Emlyn's bass, however you do this it's going to be a leap of faith to an extent. You're welcome to come down here and play my GF (that's German Flatback not Girl Friend) any time. OK, it won't be the same for sure, but it might provide a comparison?

C
[/quote]
Cheers Chris, I have been in contact with Emlyn and we'll see what happens :)