Why become a member? ×

Wattage, Speakers & Wiring

ken_white

One thing that has always bugged me is speaker wattages and wiring them in either series or parallel..

I'm looking at replacing the speakers in my 2 x 12 cabinet.

I understand about the impedances and wiring in series and parallel, but the thing that has always caused a bit of confusion is what happens to the wattage of the speakers.

e.g. If I wire 2 x 8 ohm 200 WRMS speakers in parallel to give me 4 ohms what happens to the wattage?? Does the wattage of the speakers stay the same regardless of how they are wired?? If they are wired in series does the does the wattage double as there is two speakers??

I hope people understand what I'm trying to explain. I've done many a search on the net not to find find anything!!

Feel free to ask any questions!! lol

Speaker wattage is basically a measure of how much amplifier energy you can dump into it before it starts to distort, or eventually overheat or otherwise become damaged. This depends on materials used in the driver, the quality of the design and workmanship, but also on what sort of testing standards have been used by the manufacturer. all of those are variables. As Steve says, there are few if any formats you can put together where the wattage of the drivers is not simply cumulative.

Ohms, and what your amp can do with different Ohm loads, is another kettle of fish entirely, not to be confused.

[quote name='subrob' timestamp='1333062782' post='1596998']
Speaker wattage is basically a measure of how much amplifier energy you can dump into it before it starts to distort, or eventually overheat or otherwise become damaged. This depends on materials used in the driver, the quality of the design and workmanship, but also on what sort of testing standards have been used by the manufacturer. all of those are variables. As Steve says, there are few if any formats you can put together where the wattage of the drivers is not simply cumulative.
[/quote]

The wattage quoted on speakers is the amount of power required to cause thermal failure. The amount for distortion or other forms of breakage are totally different numbers, that vary with frequency.