Why become a member? ×

Low cost instruments that sound great

Mog

My Sunn Mustang, got it for £30 many years ago (well repossessed it off the owner for what he owed me in beer money).
It has had a Kent Armstrong pickup put in it, what cost me 30 quid as well, and I changed the pots. I think that cost me a fiver.
So 65 quid then
It gets gigged a lot, I played it last weekend and wondered why the hell I'd been playing anything else recently.

I've gigged with a BB414 for years. For the aficionado's of hifi tone who love to play solo pieces, it won't cut the mustard but, it holds it's head high amongst the plethora of Fender P basses in terms of quality and tone. I've owned a CIJ Precision and a USA Hotrod Precision, both have been moved on but the BB414's remain....speaks volumes

Edited by bassman2790

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1333306573' post='1599860']
The Danelectro DC is well known for being a fantastic sounding cheapie. The body is some kind of hardboard composite and the bridge is barely adjustable. Really fun to play aswell. They were everywhere (in stores) when they were reissued in 99/2000. Lots of people must have them.
[/quote]

Beat me to it! I did a session around 99 / 2000 on Andy Lewis (Paul Weller Band)'s Dano Longhorn and it was one of the easiest great tones I got. I had to adapt my style to pick playing but what a great piece of kit.

Not sure if it's considered cheap but I seem to be favouring a sub £500 Hofner live at the moment. There sure are a lot of great cheap instruments out there