Why become a member? ×

ESP ltd range?

Townes1992

It seems i start too many threads on this forum, my apologies haha!! I had a little serach through the forum, but there wasn't much info on these guitars.

Nevertheless, I was curious as to whether anybody has played any basses from the ESP ltd range?
I'm still on the hunt for a bass, these go for pretty cheap too :)!

Here's a link if you want to check them out: [url="http://espguitars.com/basses.html"]http://espguitars.com/basses.html[/url]

Cheers

I've got a Surveyor 415, which is basically the same as the current Surveyor 5 but a couple of years older. It's a nicely built and finished bass, but it's as subtle as a forging press, and I can't get it to be happy with anything other than super-low action on an absolutely straight neck. Basically it's a metal machine, but coming from ESP, loaded with EMG pickups and preamp, I don't find that at all surprising.

Would I recommend it? Difficult to say, really.. if you know what you're getting and that's all you'll ever want then I'm sure you'd be happy, but those wanting an all-rounder might quite rapidly find that whilst it sells versatility with the P / MM (split to J) + 3 band EQ setup, and those tones are all present (and, for what it's worth, quite accurate) the bass itself precludes their use in a vast number of settings. I tried to use it for an acoustic rock project a couple of weeks ago, and it was about as appropriate as singing your kids to sleep through a loudhailer.

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1332674435' post='1591368']
I tried to use it for an acoustic rock project a couple of weeks ago, and it was about as appropriate as singing your kids to sleep through a loudhailer.
[/quote]

Hahaha! Thanks for the info, yeah that concerns me a little, i'd rather something with a little more versatility.

Korean made is it?

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1332675627' post='1591397']
I have a B206.

On the '+' side, the pickups have a good healthy growl and the build quality is immaculate.
On the '-' side, I find the string spacing a little wide and it's far too heavy to play for more than an hour.
[/quote]

Ahhh ok, my current bass is a little heavy as it is! I like that its well built though....always convincing haha

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1332674435' post='1591368']
I've got a Surveyor 415, which is basically the same as the current Surveyor 5 but a couple of years older. It's a nicely built and finished bass, but it's as subtle as a forging press, and I can't get it to be happy with anything other than super-low action on an absolutely straight neck. Basically it's a metal machine, but coming from ESP, loaded with EMG pickups and preamp, I don't find that at all surprising.

Would I recommend it? Difficult to say, really.. if you know what you're getting and that's all you'll ever want then I'm sure you'd be happy, but those wanting an all-rounder might quite rapidly find that whilst it sells versatility with the P / MM (split to J) + 3 band EQ setup, and those tones are all present (and, for what it's worth, quite accurate) the bass itself precludes their use in a vast number of settings. I tried to use it for an acoustic rock project a couple of weeks ago, and it was about as appropriate as singing your kids to sleep through a loudhailer.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure it's a 414 that the chap from Karma to Burn plays - a great rock bass, but like others of it's ilk (thinking back to the Jacksons and Charvels of this world) perhaps not going to fit into every setting.

Still, I love Karma to Burn, so big thumbs up from me :)

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1332676558' post='1591419']
I'm pretty sure it's a 414 that the chap from Karma to Burn plays - a great rock bass, but like others of it's ilk (thinking back to the Jacksons and Charvels of this world) perhaps not going to fit into every setting.

Still, I love Karma to Burn, so big thumbs up from me :)
[/quote]

It was, my old band supported KtB a couple of years back. Can't remember the bass player's name but he was an utter gent, and offered me the use of his Ampeg 8x10 without me even having to ask.
I did think though, considering the tone he uses, his choice of the ESP/LTD (not sure which it was) was a little curious.

Ah, smashing - the old noggin is still working, through the hangover :lol:

That's awesome you got to play with Karma to Burn - very jealous.

In terms of tone, I'm not sure what he used to record - obviously he has a lot of distortion on record, and sometimes his sound isn't overly 'tight', for want of a better word. But the LTD seems to cut it live, giving him a bit more presence, which is probably good with just one guitarist and you doing all the work in a heavy rock band.

[quote name='Townes1992' timestamp='1332675892' post='1591408']
Ahhh ok, my current bass is a little heavy as it is! I like that its well built though....always convincing haha
[/quote]

I'm talking about 15lb where people class anything over 8.5lb as being heavy... but then they're not tough and manly like me... :D

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1332678718' post='1591472']
I'm talking about 15lb where people class anything over 8.5lb as being heavy... but then they're not tough and manly like me... :D
[/quote]

That LTD of yours is made of some super-dense dark matter. If you drop it you'll beat the the Large Hadron Collider to the Higgs Boson :lol:

Still, I hear Chuck Norris likes to play his down by his knees.

I've have/had two of the F series. The F-255 and the F-404. The F-255 I have since moved on as I found it a tad on the heavy side but really regret getting rid of it. I still have the F-404 which I adore. It came with EMG DC active pickups and EMG B64 active EQ which I have upgraded to the BQS system. The general sound and variety of sounds from the 404 is amazing.Both basses were solidly put together and I would highly recommend them to anyone. I'm currently considering getting the F-5e or the new DK-5 signature model.

Out of interest can anyone shed light on how the stock 'ESP' pickups sound?

[quote name='CXIII' timestamp='1332693506' post='1591719']
Out of interest can anyone shed light on how the stock 'ESP' pickups sound?
[/quote]

Edging the active pre-amp past the centre detents you get a nice healthy growl, pull them back and you get a slightly flattened bottom end, but not unpleasantly so.

Overall, not quite as warm as the Bartolini's in my Ibby but not so bad that I'd be tempted to change them.

[quote name='Townes1992' timestamp='1332672581' post='1591333']
It seems i start too many threads on this forum, my apologies haha!! I had a little serach through the forum, but there wasn't much info on these guitars.

Nevertheless, I was curious as to whether anybody has played any basses from the ESP ltd range?
I'm still on the hunt for a bass, these go for pretty cheap too :)!

Here's a link if you want to check them out: [url="http://espguitars.com/basses.html"]http://espguitars.com/basses.html[/url]

Cheers
[/quote]

Hi - apologies as I haven't yet read the full thread, but if you are thinking of getting an ESP bass, do it! One of my cheaper basses is an ESP and it is surprisingly good with excellent build quality and playability considering the price - mine has an active pre-amp and at the upper end has a growl you don't expect from a bass in this price range! It does flatten out when turned down but doesn't go weedy or too "thin" in tone, in fact it is versatile for a more funky tone.

An underappreciated bass for sure! I like it better than certain basses I've paid x4 as much or more for!

Now I remember, ESP basses are played by some fairly decent rock/metal etc bassists!

Try here, this is on a 5 stringer but it has some bite and can definitely growl plenty more than this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Pie_9IQ9Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edited by AM1

I've got a Vintage 204, which is awful in terms of build quality but sounds nice. The 'relic' job on it is just silly, and badly done - for example, the worn paint has laquer over it. The 'tinted' neck is a sort of sprayed-on fake tan ;)