Why become a member? ×

Urgent 5 string advice please

hamfist

OK, I'm trying to buy a 5 stringer. In fact I have put in an order for a new Squier Vintage Modified V late today. However, I'm all umming and ahhing. Definately not sure if this is the right bass. Guess it would be easy to cancel the order in the morning.
I was seriously looking at a used Spector Legend 5 for the same money. My slight concern was the string spacing of the Spector which is tighter than that of the Squiers, and I do worry about my ability to adjust to a 5 stringer with the strings packed too tightly. Also, not being very experienced with active basses, I still have a (perhaps illogical) preference for passives (... no batteries to run out etc).
Further research into the Squier VM 5 has shown a fair amount of negative comments online about the lack of "grind" (whatever that really is) with the VM 5.
Just not sure at all.

I currently play a 4 string Jazz (Bass Collection Jive, which I LOVE !), and I have always thought that std passive J basses were the right sound for me. Just wanted to experiment with a 5 stringer.

Would love some advice and guidance, in my hour of need.

So Spector, or Squier VM or other ??

Edited by hamfist

While it seems a little tighter, anything with 18mm or 19mm should be a quick adjustment, as far as spacing. Remember, your hand and brain need to reorient themselves to reaching higher for the G, and forget the B string is there most of the time.

The Spector, IMHO, will always be better. Higher quality and you'll get better tones. My two pence...

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1332455169' post='1588758']
So Spector, or Squier VM or other ??
[/quote]

Cort? ;) Could do a lot worse. Well-made and a big range of tones. Spacing not to large or too small...

But then I would say that

I found the tighter the string spacing better when I started on a 5er. It allows you to get used to stretching across a wider neck easier. Also forces you to have a more accurate fretting hand.

The biggest thing to overcome on 5ers is the overall feel. The strings feel a lot looser and you will feel cramped to start off.

As for which bass. I found the squires sounded woolly, crappy electronics. But if you used to Jazz basses, it will be less alien. The spector on the other hand is brilliant, superb build quality and good sound.

Thanks for all your input. In the end I have continued with my order for the Squier VM. I do love the Jazz sound, and I love growl and mids, so I'm hoping this will get me where I want to go. I did worry also that the Spector would maybe sound a bit "modern" for me.
The Squier VM V seems to have good compromise string spacing. Nut is 47.6mm. string spacing at the bridge is somewhere around 17.5mm.
I'm an experienced guitar player , so my left hand won't be an issue. Just wanted to give my right hand finger some room to "play" in.

Valhalalf, I did see y our sale, and was tempted. There does seem to be a lot for love for the deluxe Jazz V 's on the web. It being active though and also the rather large slab that is the fretboard put me off in the end. Good luck with the sale. Someone's going to get a cracker.

As for the VM jazz V, I will report back once I receive it. THere actually seems fairly minimal info on the web about them. The couple of Youtube vids on them are very complementary, and as far as one can tell they sound good.
I'm going to use it as a tester into the world of 5's really. If I really get on with it, I will probably spring for a really nice 5 string sometime later in the year .

Ha, well I'm as fickle as a fairy !!!

THe online dealer I'd ordered the Squier VM with on thurs couldn't seem to be bothered to actually dispatch the bass yesterday (fri), so I have cancelled the order, as I was so umming and ahhing about the bass anyway.
And I have agreed to buy Pete's (thor's) Spector Legend. He lives fairly close,. so I'll pick it up this evening. Must admit, I "feel" a lot better about it. No doubts or worries. It the five doesn't work out for me, then I won't lose much selling it on again, and the quality of the Spector re-assures me too.
Can't wait to try it out !