Why become a member? ×

Fender bridge continues to buzz.

Dandelion

And it is upsetting me. How do I resolve this.

The barrels continue to vibrate against each other, it is not to bad with the fingers, but using a pick makes it very noticable.

Previously I have had to resort to sticking a small blob of Blu-tack between them, but surely this should not be necessary?

I am begin to think that I should resort to this.. [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BABICZ-Full-Contact-Hardware-FENDER-PRECISION-P-BASS-or-Fender-Jazz-Bass-Bridge-/120867600755?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1c24453973"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c24453973[/url]

My current bridge is the standard Fender BBOT.

Not wanting to teach you to suck eggs but...

Are the saddles parallel with the bridge plate? I only ask as I know some people try to align the saddles in a way that literally mimics the radius of the fingerboard. Obviously this can mean that the saddles adjacent to each other will have a slight angle between them, instead of making contact with the entire flat surface on the end.

Other than that it seems a bit odd. I would guess that the height adjustment screws are effectively sliding about on the shiny base plate, something that would easily be cured by getting a bridge with little channels for each saddle. Unless you can think of a way of making the surface of the bridge plate a little more grippy (without it looking awful)...maybe one layer of sellotape neatly placed across the plate where the saddles are?

At the risk of offending the purists,the standard fender bass bridges really are pretty pants in terms of design. I tend to add a little angle to mine so the string tension actually holds them tight together. Then I swap it out for a decent bridge and flog the original on ebay.
Blu-tack is wonderful stuff though and should not be belittled.