Why become a member? ×

1964 Hagstrom Futurama Coronado 6-string Baritone Project

IainRoberts

So I have a project on the go, restoring a nice old Hagstrom. Not sure when I'm going to find the time but the first thing to look at is a crack in the neck at the headstock. It's not too big but should I repair it at the sacrifice of the lacquer OR save the original neck as is and fit a custom carbon neck instead to get the old beauty up and running?

I was bidding on that ebay one. Thought I was going to get it too until the last second

Definately get the neck fixed. Any replacement neck would be a travesty.

I love the Hagstrom Coronado - was using mine (4 string) in the studio at the weekend and it sounded superb.

The switches are a little unreliable and noisy sometimes - the only downside for me

• 1 year later...

This sounds identical to the problems with my old Futurama. I don't think I have the ability to do anything about it myself. Anyone have any suggestions?

The downside as far as my bass is concerned is that someone smoothed out the body where there is that kink. The mods also included a strip down and repaint. It also didn't have the bar that goes below the strings, though a friend made a shortened version for me.