Why become a member? ×

Live Electro Funk video

urb

Something fresh and funky from today's session - with added trumpet and bass solo stuff - this is a tune I wrote by the way:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1RKVn7UREQ[/media]

Latest video here

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxn-H3Qa6vk[/media]

Thanks for checking it out

Mike

[quote name='gilmour' timestamp='1332114318' post='1583623']
Nice - love the horn parts.

How are you playing your beats/loops back, is Ableton via a Launchpad?
[/quote]

Cheers man - yes Novation Launchpad - very straightforward to use and does so many things for the money (£130-ish) I'd like something a bit more sophisticated but this will do for now - glad you enjoyed the tune - got a load more like this ready to go - hopefully we'll be playing this out live at some point later this year...

M

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1332501439' post='1589142']
Nice stuff Mike!

I used to have a couple of those Laney cabs way way back too :D
[/quote]

Thanks Si

I'm not using the amps by the way - all the bass is coming via the laptop - I want to use an amp / cab for onstage sound but I haven't done that yet - so the amps here are just for pop-video show (well they are just in the rehearsal room!)

Glad you dug it

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Wooooaaahhhh hloooossstttt iiiiinnnn reeeeeeevveeerrrrrrbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb b b b b b bbb bbbbbbb bbbbb ;)

Mental as anything though mate, very musical, love it!

Wish I could do that funky but mellow double thump thing you do, its such a nice relaxed groove, when I try something like that it just sounds pants, then I get bored of failing :D

How about a tiny bit of grind, and a very very subtle chorus?

If you can identify the difference as chorus then its too much, the overdrive should be equally as unobtrusive, just to add a bit of upper frequency harmonic info to drive the chorus really.

Then back the verb return off by half, and if possible get the predelay on the verb to be either just off a semiquaver or quaver long (not dead on, generally late sounds more relaxed, early sounds more urgent, you figure out which feels right for you), so it drives off the last note not the present one almost....

That will standout, but not in quite such looosttttt-----dooowwwwnnnn---ttheeee----welllllll way.

If your processing can do it, then put a very subtle dirty phaser on the reverb return only, for maximum coolness.

I never managed to get my hand to feel right when plucking the string I just thumped on the upstroke. Will have to investigate further now - ta!

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1333621385' post='1604307']
How about a tiny bit of grind, and a very very subtle chorus?

If you can identify the difference as chorus then its too much, the overdrive should be equally as unobtrusive, just to add a bit of upper frequency harmonic info to drive the chorus really.

Then back the verb return off by half, and if possible get the predelay on the verb to be either just off a semiquaver or quaver long (not dead on, generally late sounds more relaxed, early sounds more urgent, you figure out which feels right for you), so it drives off the last note not the present one almost....

That will standout, but not in quite such looosttttt-----dooowwwwnnnn---ttheeee----welllllll way.

If your processing can do it, then put a very subtle dirty phaser on the reverb return only, for maximum coolness.

I never managed to get my hand to feel right when plucking the string I just thumped on the upstroke. Will have to investigate further now - ta!
[/quote]

Thanks man - I feel a remix coming on.... the great thing with Ableton is that when you record it's a full multi-track recording - so going in an tweaking effects and adding automation etc is very easy - the cool thing is all the raw clean bass is there and can be tweaked no problem.... aside from having to delete this vid and upload a new version - oh well this is what this is all about - the learning curve!

Can it use standard VSTs?

Cos I have exactly the right dirty phaser for that reverb return, but its a swine to find on the interweb anymore (even though it was a freebie).

It was catchily called the WPhaser XD-78s, has a great sound and a built in saturation doohickey, does very very cool things to reverb sends!

Also klnown as the [url="http://www.ronnypries.de/gear/gearnews/free-nomad-factory-plugin-warmer-phaser-vst/"]Warm Phaser from Nomad Factory apparently[/url]

You may find its in [url="http://www.vstplanet.com/VST_effects/Bundle/free_vst_pc.zip"]this bundle[/url]

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1333622499' post='1604340']
Can it use standard VSTs?

Cos I have exactly the right dirty phaser for that reverb return, but its a swine to find on the interweb anymore (even though it was a freebie).

It was catchily called the WPhaser XD-78s, has a great sound and a built in saturation doohickey, does very very cool things to reverb sends!

Also klnown as the [url="http://www.ronnypries.de/gear/gearnews/free-nomad-factory-plugin-warmer-phaser-vst/"]Warm Phaser from Nomad Factory apparently[/url]

You may find its in [url="http://www.vstplanet.com/VST_effects/Bundle/free_vst_pc.zip"]this bundle[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks dude - yes Ableton can use pretty much all VSTs - I'll check those out - thanks again - I'm definitely going to remix this - the lines are there be great if you could hear them eh???

Appreciate your advise squire :)

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1333623168' post='1604358']
Thanks dude - yes Ableton can use pretty much all VSTs - I'll check those out - thanks again - I'm definitely going to remix this - the lines are there be great if you could hear them eh???

Appreciate your advise squire :)
[/quote]

If you dont get any luck with those links then I can send you the dll, its an old freebie after all!

OK last goddamn post here for a while I promise - here's a remixed version - annoyingly the audio sync is a tiny bit out but hopefully the sound is better now - hope you enjoy

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxn-H3Qa6vk[/media]

Thats way nicer Mike, can actually hear what you are playing now in the opening.

Like the way some of the bass parts end up sounding rather like a horn section in the background (to my cloth ears anyway).

Like it a lot!

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1334049486' post='1609962']
Thats way nicer Mike, can actually hear what you are playing now in the opening.

Like the way some of the bass parts end up sounding rather like a horn section in the background (to my cloth ears anyway).

Like it a lot!
[/quote]

Thanks Si

Funny you should mention horn sections - the idea with this is that those parts are played by the trumpeter/saxophonist that I'm working with at the moment - I just wanted to try and rework this tune in Ableton before taking it to the rehearsal room... glad you enjoyed this version better - so much other stuff coming just got to get working on it now...!

Thanks for all the advice so far

M