Why become a member? ×

Effect Pedal Chain

tonyclaret

Hi folks, I have finally settled on a range of pedals and sounds I am happy with, however I am now deciding on the best chain.

These are the pedals:
Korg pitchblack, EBS multicomp, sansamp programmable bass driver, 3 leaf gr2 envelope filter, line 6 M5.

Couple of things to consider is the gr2 has a built in effects loop, so pondering whether to loop the m5 in this, could I warm up some of the digital tones from the m5 if it was before the sansamp?

A lot to think about, no doubt I will experiment until I'm convinced, but as always fellow bass chat's opinions are valued.

Cheers tony

I'd have;

Korg pitchblack, sansamp programmable bass driver, 3 leaf gr2 envelope filter, line 6 M5, EBS multicomp.

Or put the Pitchblack last if you want the mute as a kill switch.

Ooh, is that my old GR2? Cool. Stick an OC-2 in the loop, mix to taste! Instant awesome.

Edited by mike f

It really depends on what fx you're using on the M5 & what sound you're after.
If you're using delay/reverb/chorus type fx, then I'd do what Mike says.
If you're using octave or synth fx, I'd put it int he same order but with the M5 in front of the Sansamp.

But play about, that's half the fun! :D

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1331938035' post='1581335']
Read my blog on signal chain basics (link in signature) - shameless plug. Start at part one and you'll just in time for me to publish part 4 tomorrow :)
[/quote]

This blog is well worth reading! Brilliant run down of what things do.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1331938035' post='1581335']
Read my blog on signal chain basics (link in signature) - shameless plug. Start at part one and you'll just in time for me to publish part 4 tomorrow :)
[/quote]

Wow, now you do know your stuff. Very helpful. Thanks.

[quote name='mike f' timestamp='1331937585' post='1581331']
I'd have;

Korg pitchblack, sansamp programmable bass driver, 3 leaf gr2 envelope filter, line 6 M5, EBS multicomp.

Or put the Pitchblack last if you want the mute as a kill switch.

Ooh, is that my old GR2? Cool. Stick an OC-2 in the loop, mix to taste! Instant awesome.
[/quote]

It is mike and I'm loving it.

Well I did well my Octabass, on the idea I would use the acclaimed clone on the m5, so may try it in the loop.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1331938227' post='1581336']
It really depends on what fx you're using on the M5 & what sound you're after.
If you're using delay/reverb/chorus type fx, then I'd do what Mike says.
If you're using octave or synth fx, I'd put it int he same order but with the M5 in front of the Sansamp.

But play about, that's half the fun! :D
[/quote]

Good point, I don't use effects all the time, the main ones from the M5 would be chorus, phaser and the octaver at this moment in time, haven't toyed with any of the fuzz/distortion settings yet.

Surprised both you and mike having the compressor as the last pedal in the chain, I've always used a comp early on, always set very subtlety.

Any of you guys run any effects in the amp
Effects loop? Advantages/ disadvantages?

Ordered new Velcro, there's Goin to be some changes ahead I feel.

I've tried using the effects loop on my amp a few times & there's no benefit unless I switch the jumper to have clean & effected blended (which I don't want) or have an extra wire running across the stage.

I don't use a compressor. Tried a few, but might get another one sometime in the future.