Why become a member? ×

Calling all iPad Garageband users - a few questions for you?

visog

So I'm thinking of diving into the whole Apple thing to record my bass with backing music. For you expert Applers out there:[list]
[*]should I go Mac or iPad? (I know the Mac does everything but is the iPad good enough?)
[*]does Garageband on iPad have the score view/mode for stave music editing?
[/list]
I'm not way into the whole production thing or looping - just score-written strings, drums and then recorded bass, some mastering then bang out an mp3.

Recommendations please... keep it simple I'm not Trevor Horn! I like composing music not producing it.

visog

you cant do much on the ipad version, although you can still plug in and record.
It also has a few loops and i mean a few, these loops are something like 2 piano,2 drums etc etc
your better off getting a macbook, even the cheaper ones will do the trick if your just going to use it for home recording, nothing major.
also, getting the garageband/logic pro has loads of loops you can play off, edit scores and what not, also can transcribe some of the funky basslines on there :D

Thanks Bassman94. I had hoped to be able to edit scores and therefore do music on the move with an iPad. Taking two laptops with me on trips (works laptop as well) would be too much of a faff I think.

visog

Thanks... I think my question was too specific. I've checked out Symphony Pro which looks to do what I need at least in terms of score editing, then I can import a midi file into to GB or whatever... visog

I recommend checking out Notation for score editing too. Bit more expensive than Symphony Pro but then it does use samples not MIDI. Both have their quirks but they can be used as a stave-based sketch-pad on the go with the ability to mail your ideas to your main music workstation whatever that may be.