Why become a member? ×

Noise Limiters at venues

HeavyJay

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1331889602' post='1580336']
If they can move the gig down south or alernatively pay for 5 to get to Yorkshire we'd do it. We have the PLI, we are all PAT tested and [i][b]really don't mind the limiter if it is set correctly.[/b][/i]
[/quote]

Unfortunately, at a conservative estimate, more than 90% of them aren't. A couple of friends of mine install them countrywide, and nearly every time, the management just get it switched on, see the pretty lights and say "Thanks lads. 'Bye" Apparently, there is a nominal charge for the time taken to calibrate it correctly, but very few of them want to pay it. :rolleyes:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1331929585' post='1581202']
Doubt it...more likely that it is conditional on getting a license if there have been complaints/issues
[/quote]

I know of one pub that was visited by the noise police who fitted a limiter, after a complaint. So I assumed it was always a punishment.

I have just got in from a gig where there was a limiter in use. I spoke to the manager about it and they had it installed because of complaints from neighbours. Environmental Health said that it was the only way that they were allowed to have bands. The thing was in and out of the red all night but apparently it only trips if it remains in the red for over 5 seconds. I wish it had tripped as the sound was absolutely terrible and was impossible to get in the pocket :(

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1331921899' post='1581018']
Worried about the neighbours? The seagulls? The French?
[/quote]

Hahahaha! No, come to think of it I can't remember why they had one on. All the speakers were in a circle around the dance floor to contain as much of the sound as possible. I think the limiter (at the bar) was more for the noise not reaching too far down the deck past the arcades and the guests rooms were above that section. So, understandable I suppose but still a pain in the arse.

Dan