Why become a member? ×

4003 pole pieces

any way to adjust these? i dont have a newer model with the hex screws - finding my E string is lower volume than the others and I think it's because the pole piece is further from the string.

anyone else had the same problem? how did you fix?

Edited by 1970

Yes, so if you slacken the pickup retaining screw at the end closest to the E string by 2mm the pickup should rise by 2mm at that end.
That will bring that end of the pickup closer to the E string and compensate for the lack of volume you're getting on that string. :)

Well that leaves you with three possibilities.

1) You've not raised the pickup enough.
2) You've got a duff E string.
3) You need to hit the E string marginally harder whilst playing.

Got to say that IME it's usually just a case of tilting the pickup - don't forget you can raise the 'E' end and drop the 'G' end to level things out.

[quote name='dave.c' timestamp='1331407319' post='1572584']
I seem to remember the guy pushed out the pole pieces ................... my point being that you may be able to push it up 2mm.
[/quote]

Certainly the case with older Fender single-coil pickups, I've done it.

[quote name='dave.c' timestamp='1331406601' post='1572569']
One mod that I have found useful is to use two or three washers under the tailpiece on the three screws that live under the bridge piece to fill the gap which you will find under there, this gives a better contact to the body. Also you can drill the tailpiece where the bridge height adjustment screws are so that they go through to the body wood instead of sitting in the little wells in th tailpiece, this makes the bridge very solid and has an advantage in the screws not sticking up five millimetres just where you want your hand! Apparently there are older RIcs that were made like this. I have found it to give tthe E string more presence and generally a bit more lively!
Putting washers under the tailpiece can also give less chance of the infamous tail- lift, I think this is because you can no longer over tighten the mounting screws and bow the tailpiece.
[/quote]

o...k

you have totally lost me bro.

also, what is tail-lift?

[quote name='1970' timestamp='1331413577' post='1572685']
also, what is tail-lift?
[/quote]

Tail-lift's where the bridge starts to lift away from the body. It happens on most Rics (not my '83 B)) because the bridge is only secured at the front, not the rear. Early 4003s had two extra screws to hold the bridge down.

It's one of the many things that the children will tease Ric owners over ;)

[quote name='Mylkinut' timestamp='1331437457' post='1572857']
Tail-lift's where the bridge starts to lift away from the body. It happens on most Rics
[/quote]
Eh? I've had 13 or 14 and none of them had it. Of all the dozens (hundreds?) I've actually played IIRC I've only seen 1 with it. Hardly "most"!