Why become a member? ×

What is this bass?

Jimryan

Ok, my house mate has had this bass a while. He doesn't know what it is and I don't recognise/remember it. He doesn't play anymore and I'm not a big enough fan of it to warrant keeping it.

Any info on it would be fantastic. If anyone has/had one even better.

Cheers

[attachment=101985:photo.JPG] [attachment=101987:photo(1).JPG] [attachment=101986:photo (4).JPG] [attachment=101988:photo(2).JPG] [attachment=101989:photo(3).JPG]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1331219521' post='1569679']
It's a GTX Bass of some description - GTX being discontinued a sub-brand of Kamen Music Corporation who also own Ovation and Hamer amongst others.
[/quote]
Is that the same factory that make the 'Masons' brand of basses? If not then they all have a very generic 'Bass Collection' look about them.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1331220788' post='1569711']
Is that the same factory that make the 'Masons' brand of basses? If not then they all have a very generic 'Bass Collection' look about them.
[/quote]

It's the compact headstock with the strings winding on to different sides of the machine head post. Something that most likely originated with either Tune or Atlansia.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1331388657' post='1572207']
It's the compact headstock with the strings winding on to different sides of the machine head post. Something that most likely originated with either Tune or Atlansia.
[/quote]
Yes I realise that the BC basses were copies of Tune etc. but wondered specifically if the OP's bass was made in the same factory as the Masons brand from the 90's?

• 10 months later...

Hey mates, sorry to ressurrect a zombie thread from across the pond, but I've been looking for a bass like this since I traded mine away back in approx. '92 or '93. This is a Kaman GTX-53 five string active bass. As I recall, the treble knob on this beauty mainly added noise, so I kept it rolled off, but it had super deep low end(and I'd always wondered what it would've sounded like with upgraded pups). The neck has a super -fast feel on the fretboard(but the finish on the back seems to be really slow), and the weight is not bad. Hey JimRyan, does your housemate by any chance still have this and would he consider selling it and shipping it to the States? Here's another example of the same bass in the only other color I've ever seen on this model.
(BTW, I nearly freaked when I saw this one in a pawn shop in Nashville, not too far away from where I live!)

http://shop.berryspawn.com/gtx-bass-guitar-p279590-1/